New Beta release of Microsoft AntiSpyware

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Jun 23, 2005.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    For anybody who is finicky, remember: THIS IS A BETA PRODUCT.
    Uninstall old version before installing new.

    Build version: 1.0.613
    Published: 2005-23-6

    "In this second beta refresh (Build 1.0.613), we’ve made other enhancements
    to the detection and removal capabilities, including improved Winsock LSP
    removal capabilities and support for long descriptions of categorized software.
    In addition, we have also extended the Windows AntiSpyware beta expiration
    date to December 31, 2005."

    Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    Shorter link:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q14552F2A

    Direct download:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-fca2f2c6f0cc/MicrosoftAntiSpywareInstall.exe

    Shorter link:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?I5C731C2A

    °Mike°, Jun 23, 2005

  2. Thanks for the heads up Mike
    -max

    What's in a Name?, Jun 23, 2005

  3. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    °Mike°, Jun 23, 2005
  4. °Mike°

    -MYK- Guest

    Done the Download..
    Uninstalled Microsoft AntiSpyware Version: 1.0.509
    Restarted my computer..
    Installed the NEW Intall file in my download directory
    Started up Microsoft AntiSpyware

    Checked version to find : Microsoft AntiSpyware Version: 1.0.509
    This version expires on: 31/07/2005
    Spyware Definition Version: 5687 (18/06/2005 05:32:24)

    For some reason it has hot updated did I do somthing wrong?

    -MYK-, Jun 24, 2005
  5. Did you use this link?

    What's in a Name?, Jun 24, 2005
  6. °Mike°

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Jun 24, 2005
  7. °Mike°

    -MYK- Guest

    -MYK-, Jun 24, 2005
  8. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    Find the file 'GIANTAntiSpywareMain.exe' in your install
    directory and right click on it. Choose 'Properties' and look
    at the 'Version' tab. What does it tell you?

    °Mike°, Jun 24, 2005
  9. °Mike°

    -MYK- Guest

    It tells me : 1.0.0.509

    the server is giving me the wrong setup file for some reason??

    -MYK-

    -MYK-, Jun 24, 2005
  10. °Mike°

    Vanguard Guest

    Actually you might be doing everything correct but actually getting the
    old beta version. I visited the http://www.microsoft.com/security site
    and followed the link to download the supposedly newer "refresh" beta
    version that is supposed to expire on December 31, 2005. However, while
    running the MicrosoftAntispywareInstall.exe program, the license
    agreement (you know, that part of an install that rare few users every
    bother to read) says:

    "TIME-SENSITIVE SOFTWARE. The software will stop running on July 31,
    2005. ..."

    Well, looks like Microsoft has screwed up their download link so it
    points back at the prior version, or they actually have not slid in the
    new installer program (i.e., their web page describing the product got
    updated before the new version of the program was made available). I
    aborted the installation since there was no point in installing the same
    version that was already installed. Perhaps Microsoft might learn to
    put the version number in the filename to ensure that they point the
    link to the correct file rather than using the same filename for every
    version of the program.

    If the above is not what occurs when you download the "new" version from
    the link they currently provide then maybe the fault lies in a dirty
    uninstall by Giant's uninstaller. After uninstalling MSAS beta 1, the
    following remnants were found in the
    registry:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{03819E35-56B6-42BB-9CAD-5A8768D7556B}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{03F3EB8F-BF06-488F-A808-B3A3EAD5C968}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0661FFC2-46C1-45C8-A78D-B85144D83B47}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0DE200BA-4B11-49C4-83F9-9E1F749E5700}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{13973210-8B95-4B00-B4A0-87C7E6854CCE}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{398BD73C-76C2-4376-B595-5B35E4FA5F1D}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{456E55C3-6DC8-4B6A-8E72-D096E7812545}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{46A5C24D-6EE6-438D-B389-3C48C29C2CD0}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{4B718E68-C132-4319-8D3B-750FC01E7C43}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{4C7AAF4A-9414-455F-9D6D-54B3A7069DCF}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{50553481-A590-49D4-98A8-0136244F7F36}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6A18FCA0-C53C-4AA1-9285-7FD98EE6AEF5}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{83417D49-C236-4946-91A3-67E24F8ABBBE}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{982A83F3-9B4D-4535-9EF6-1B45202390BC}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B130644A-D587-4862-841D-500464FB7DB0}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B26FB0EE-B290-4D33-B44C-3B4A8B2FB29D}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BAA5FBCF-478D-4A57-AE8C-E94C6640CCAC}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C0655A9E-42C5-45B8-AB83-16C8E4990213}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D83A9597-7433-4283-AAAF-378CA2031666}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E0FE17FC-4A33-4F65-88BA-130DF8F1661F}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E74E4448-8D0A-4EF5-A432-19B0C03D0364}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F555C8FD-FA97-46DF-9D83-3575CE6280B4}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{0E9FFA9E-B267-44DF-BC81-2B08E3977ED5}
    Have a pointer to a non-existent server program - because you
    uninstalled it!

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{350FAA62-1388-4BC6-A20C-31AF59D7526E}
    A class ID for a typelib used by MSAS WinTrust Verifier Class.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft.AntiSpyware.Trust
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft.AntiSpyware.Trust.1
    Refer back to the above class ID entry.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GIANTCompany
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GIANTCompany
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    Menu\Programs\Microsoft AntiSpyware
    Uninstalls often neglect to remove this entry.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders
    Data item: C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    Menu\Programs\Utilities\Security Tools\Microsoft Antispyware
    If you have move the group somewhere else in the Start menu.
    This shows that I moved the MSAS group (originally created under the
    Start -> Programs folder) to under the Start -> Programs -> Utilities ->
    Security Tools folder. Don't expect uninstalls to know what happens
    after you install a product.

    The uninstall is "dirty"; i.e., is doesn't clean out everything that was
    installed or generated by the program in the registry. So maybe some
    cleanup of the remnants left behind by the uninstall would get the new
    install to work correctly. Before editing the registry, back it up and
    manually create a System Restore point for recovery. It is likely that
    the new install will step on these registry entries (i.e., reuse them)
    but perhaps not overwrite them. Some items the uninstaller won't know
    about because they were not recorded in logfile created during the
    install and then used during the uninstall. Some items may have been
    generated by using the program so they only existed after the install
    (and won't be in the logfile for the uninstaller to know about) but that
    doesn't mean the developer responsible for the uninstall program cannot
    add them to the uninstall routine. I would tend to attribute this
    dirtiness to Giant when they produced the product which then Microsoft
    acquired.

    Vanguard, Jun 24, 2005
  11. °Mike°

    Vanguard Guest

    Aha! I might've discovered how to get the new "refresh" version of MSAS:
    do NOT validate when going through the download process on their web
    site. When I validated (to show Microsoft that I have a legit copy of
    Windows), the download link points to their old version of MSAS. That
    is, when I validate, I get the old version that I already had. However,
    when I chose not to validate (you click Continue but then choose to not
    validate on the next screen), then the license agreement shows a
    December 31, 2005 expiration. So their web site is screwed up. The
    validated download still points to the old beta version while the
    non-validated download points to their new "refresh" beta version.

    Vanguard, Jun 24, 2005
  12. So you're the one who's been validating their install. I wondered about
    that.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 24, 2005
  13. °Mike°

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Jun 24, 2005
  14. °Mike°

    Vanguard Guest

    When did you perform your validated download? This morning I did a
    validated and non-validated download and the same file got retrieved
    (same number of bytes and a binary file compare showed they were equal
    files). So Microsoft fixed their web site since my test. You can only
    download what Microsoft pointed to for the file, and I confirmed at that
    time that Microsoft was pointing to their old beta version file with
    their link since I got different files showing different expiration
    dates in their license agreement depending on a validated or
    non-validated download (and perhaps even the validated download link was
    screwed up, too, for a time). It was possible to get the old beta
    version although their web page said it was the "refresh" beta version.
    So now MYK should be able to either download and get the correct file.

    Vanguard, Jun 24, 2005
  15. °Mike°

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Jun 24, 2005
  16. °Mike°

    Pat Guest

    Did you get the new version from Microsoft web site & did you un-install you
    old 1.0.509 version first.

    Pat, Jun 24, 2005
  17. °Mike°

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Jun 24, 2005
  18. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    Vanguard took 44 lines to utter:

    The Microsoft website was not broken. I downloaded and installed
    the new version BEFORE I posted the heads up, AND I used the MS
    validation.
    Which was the new one.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jun 24, 2005
  19. °Mike°

    Vanguard Guest

    You posted at 4:10PM. You downloaded before that time to get the
    installer. MYK posted at 7:06PM (3 hours later) but didn't mention when
    he/she did the download. I posted at 11:13PM (7 hours later than you)
    right after doing the download and also got the old version downloaded
    from Microsoft that MYK got stuck with. The license agreement with the
    July 31 expiration proved that Microsoft proffered the old beta for what
    got downloaded using their link. Then today at 9:25AM, I did another
    download (using the same link) and the new version showed up. So there
    was a slot of time when the file downloaded could be the old version
    instead of the new one. It is also possible, even at the same time,
    where one user gets the new version while another user gets the old
    version simply because of the load-balancing across many worldwide
    servers where one or some of those servers were still proffering the old
    version, especially when the filename doesn't change (to reflect the
    version).

    Some users were getting the old version from the download links provided
    by Microsoft. Maybe that's been fixed by now by getting all their
    servers updated with the new version of the file but which unfortunately
    has the same filename as before. It's good that you got the new version
    and which also appears to be the prevalent result for most users. After
    some time passed, others could get it, too, that were before getting
    stuck with a download of the old version. It sometimes happens that the
    files are out of sync with the web pages. It was the first day of
    releasing their "refresh" version and it looks like it took awhile to
    propagate the file across all their servers although all of us were
    using the same link.

    Vanguard, Jun 25, 2005
  20. °Mike°

    Ron Martell Guest

    They have quietly released a newer version.

    Current downloads will get build version 1.0.614

    Some repeat some users are getting the new version via the automatic
    update function but others (including myself) are having to uninstall
    the old version and then install the one.

    Spyware definitions should now be #5729 (released today).

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service