    conversation cancelled my starpower.net. He was just rude and not answering
    my questions/concerns.

    I am looking for a new ISP.

    yepp, Oct 12, 2003

  2. yepp

    Harrison Guest

    Well, good luck then.

    Harrison, Oct 12, 2003

  3. yepp

    °Mike° Guest

    I'm not surprised they couldn't answer your questions, if
    this post of yours is anything to go by - it makes no sense.

    Take a deep breath, count to ten, and start again, from
    the beginning, and explain exactly what you did, what the
    problem is, and some details about your system.

    °Mike°, Oct 12, 2003
  4. yepp

    yepp Guest

    Okay. I was kinda mad.

    First, I got an email about the accelerator program from starpower.net and
    went to the website, downloaded and scanned before downloading, this program
    to make your web viewing faster. It didn't work on my computer.

    While I was there, I viewed the homepage and saw that the rates have been
    reduced from when I paid in March. $2.00 a month. Not much but I wanted to
    ask about that. I most recently paid in March for $13.95 a month for 2
    years service and now it is advertised at $11.95.

    I asked the sales rep about this and he told me this is a new ad for only
    new customers. I said I wanted to quit and become a new customer to save
    myself $48 and he said okay.

    I have been looking at ISP service in my community (Northern Virginia) and
    there are lots to choose from. I thought maybe I would stick with Erols/RCN
    for the duration to allieviate my aggravation switching and tried to call
    them back to cancel my cancellation. I was on hold for over and hour and
    then got disconnected. I called back and was on hold for over an hour and
    got totally turned off. I am looking at anything now that gives Internet
    service and taking free offers for a month or so to test them out.

    yepp, Oct 12, 2003
  5. yepp

    yepp Guest

    Received this FREE offer via email from starpower. I downloaded it but it
    froze when trying to open up web pages, so I uninstalled it. Anyone have
    any luck with this program?

    yepp, Oct 12, 2003
  6. yepp

    yepp Guest

    Dear Valued Starpower Customer:

    Great news! Introducing the new Starpower Dial up Accelerator a new
    compression technology that speeds up your web surfing*. The Starpower Dial
    up Accelerator gives you the freedom to enjoy faster Web page downloads - up
    to 5 times faster than regular dial-up service!

    Here's the best part - this is a completely FREE service available to you as
    a valued Starpower subscriber.

    To enjoy your faster Starpower Dial-up Internet service, you'll need to
    download the new Starpower Dial up Accelerator software. Just follow these
    quick, easy steps:

    Go to http://www.starpower.net/internet/dialup/accelerator.php and enter
    your Starpower e-mail username and password to begin the download.
    Download the installer to your desktop.
    Once the download has completed, double-clicking on the icon will launch the
    installer.
    The installer will guide you through the complete setup process.
    During your first installation you will be prompted for a username and
    password. Enter the username and password provided to you by Starpower in
    the fields provided.
    Click OK. Starpower Dial Up Accelerator will connect to the internet.
    After installing the Starpower Dial Up Accelerator, an icon is placed in
    your system tray. Opening any web browser launches the Starpower Dial Up
    Accelerator.
    If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at
    1.877.STARPOWER. We hope you take advantage of this offer and enjoy surfing
    at speeds never previously experienced through your dial-up Internet
    connection.

    As always, thanks for being our valued customer!

    Sincerely,

    Starpower Communications, LLC

    *A slight degradation of image quality may occur; the compression won't
    affect file download or upload speeds. ?Minimum system requirements are a
    Pentium 200MHz (or equivalent) with 64MB RAM, and at least 5MB of hard-drive
    space. The SlipStream Web Accelerator works with Internet Explorer 4.0 (or
    later) and Netscape Communicator 4.0 (or later).

    Click here if you DO NOT wish to receive new product announcements from
    Starpower
    Customer service and tech support are always available 24/7, just call
    1.877.STARPOWER.

    yepp, Oct 12, 2003
  7. yepp

    yepp Guest

    This is nothing innovative because all isps are offering the service. Some
    want you to pay $5.95 a month for it but since I was a customer of
    starpower, I guess they offered it for free. It didn't work from starpower.
    It did work from earthlink and several other isps I have tested. All have
    this technology now and some charge and some do not.

    yepp, Oct 12, 2003
  8. yepp

    yepp Guest

    I have this group under
    news.starpower.net

    and my specific questions listed under
    24hoursupport.helpdesk

    yepp, Oct 12, 2003
  9. yepp

    yepp Guest

    what the hell? do you have advice or just your own personal criticism?

    yepp, Oct 12, 2003
  10. yepp

    °Mike° Guest

    Internet accelerators do NOT work on ANY computer... period.
    What you clicked on was an advertisement; your decision.
    Ok, but that's between you and your ISP - this group has
    nothing to do with any ISP, or other organisation. So, did
    you have a specific question to ask?

    °Mike°, Oct 12, 2003
  11. yepp

    yepp Guest

    Sorry. Since I had this newsgroup and the 24hoursuppport.helpdesk I thought
    it was a "helpdesk." I didn't know it was a British support group.

    yepp, Oct 12, 2003
  12. yepp

    °Mike° Guest

    Falling for spam is nothing innovative, either.
    And that's what you did, you fell for the hype.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Oct 12, 2003
  13. yepp

    yepp Guest

    It is not spam. All ISPs with dial-up service offer this now. Before you
    spout about spam, you better be more educated about the Net and services
    offered.

    yepp, Oct 12, 2003
  14. yepp

    yepp Guest

    It was offered as a 24hoursupport.help but if not the case, then I won't
    look for help.

    yepp, Oct 12, 2003
  15. yepp

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Oct 12, 2003
  16. yepp

    yepp Guest

    Oh, it is a Brit exchange group?

    yepp, Oct 12, 2003
  17. yepp

    yepp Guest

    You are a "virtual ISP"? Now how does that work for the rest of us?

    yepp, Oct 12, 2003
  18. yepp

    Brian H¹© Guest

    24hoursupport.helpdesk still has nothing to do with your ISP.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 12, 2003
  19. yepp

    Brian H¹© Guest

    You fell for hype, live with it and learn.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 12, 2003
  20. yepp

    yepp Guest

    The link have on my Outlook is 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    It does not designate country. It was given to me as part of the ISP
    package.

    yepp, Oct 12, 2003