new 8 GB iPod Nano for Xmas, need advice...

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Howie, Jan 13, 2008.

  1. Howie

    Howie Guest

    Hi!

    I told my wife that I might want a mp3/video player for Xmas, and she
    bought me a 8 GB iPod Nano for $200 (Canadian). I am not sure I would
    use the device enough to warrant the $200 price tag to our household
    budget. I was thinking more about something in the $50-$100 range,
    but then I'm tempted to just go with the $200 Nano. I am not a big
    MP3 music guy, but I might use it more if I had the device. Video
    might be nice too... My wife is even thinking we should spend $50
    more and get the 80 GB iPod!

    I don't know what to do... I need advice! I can still take the iPod
    Nano back if I choose...

    1. What do people use a Nano for? Music and video? What kinds of
    videos?
    2. Any cheaper alternatives?

    Howie

    PS - we have two mischievous boys (ages 2 and 4) that I worry might
    get their little fingers on the device I choose to go with...

    Howie, Jan 13, 2008

  2. They have videos (movies) you can download to the iPod Classic (80 gig) that
    you are looking at. We bought our daughter a Classic, and she has put three
    movies into it, and over 500 songs, and still has 65+ gig of free space. Her
    movie collection includes Pirates of the Carribean, and Chicken Run.

    There are adaptor thingies you can get that plug your iPod into your car
    stereo so that you can take your music and movies on the road. The Classic
    also has games that you can play to fill the dull times riding the train, or
    whatever.

    Not only can you download music and video files from iTunes, you can also
    load them from CDs and DVDs.

    I suppose that pretty much any MP3 player has these features, at least as
    far as music files go, but the iPod comes with considerable added quality.

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 13, 2008

  3. Howie

    flambe Guest

    There are no video players that are worthwhile that sell for much less than
    your Nano. For what it is it is a very good unit.
    In truth the utility of the video is subjective. Many users, myself
    included, find it too tedious to watch the tiny screen on any Ipod for more
    than 30 minutes or so.
    MP3 players are very convenient for mobile listening to music, e.g. at the
    gym or other exercise, and for listening to podcasts--there are many useful
    podcasts out there depending on your interests. They can be used as data
    storage devices but that aspect is made a bit difficult with Ipods on
    purpose by Apple to protect the image of the device as multimedia player (an
    Ipod is technically a data storage system with a dedicated OS, as are all
    MP3 players).
    An Ipod does not shackle you to the Itunes store for buying music but it
    does shackle you to the Itunes player, a resource hogging beast that is
    quite poorly designed by any stretch of the imagination (for one thing it
    does not support having more than one window open at a time). The design of
    Itunes is so poor it astounds me why people think Apple has any great
    ability at designing user interfaces. However, like any program, you get
    used to it. And to its multiple upgrades.
    You are shackled to the Itunes store for downloadable commercial video, or
    you have to process videos to get them into the Ipod format.
    For music only most users do not require more than 4gbs storage, unless you
    feel you have to carry around your entire music collection with you at all
    times, meaning you are the average adolescent.
    The Sansa line of solid state MP3 players are very good, have an FM tuner,
    and sell for less than the Ipod Nano. All Ipods lack FM tuners and intrinsic
    recording ability. Apple has done this on purpose but there are clunky
    add-ons if that is important to you.
    Children, and adults, have no difficulty destroying any of these players.

    flambe, Jan 14, 2008
  4. Howie

    Howie Guest

    I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. The idea of podcast are kind
    of neat, but I could just watch them on my PC just as easy. I am a
    high school teacher, and a lot of kids at school have iPods, etc.
    hmmmm...

    Howie, Jan 14, 2008
  5. Howie

    dogbreath Guest

    Do your iPod. You will love it. Not for the reasons you think you
    might, and not for the reasons your students do, but for reasons
    you'll discover when you get into it.

    I put all my CDs on the computer, I let iTunes manage and organize the
    library, I put my favorite music into a playlist, and play it back in
    shuffle mode. There is a Brandenburg Concerto, followed by a 50s
    doo-wop, followed by a Dixie Chicks, followed by an early Elvis,
    followed by Carly Simon, and then a Wagner Overture. If you ever liked
    any kind of music at all, you will love your iPod.

    dogbreath, Jan 14, 2008
  6. Howie

    Howie Guest

    It would be nice if the Nano had video output to RCA (composite) so
    one could output to TV... but I don't believe it does... any other
    portable devices have this functionality?

    Howie, Jan 14, 2008