    within the camera, or can't the camera 'see' or address all that storage
    space?

    Any help appreciated.

    Mat, Dec 26, 2006

  2. Mat

    Scott W Guest

    A lot of cameas max out at showing 999 shots left, which really means
    that are at least 999 shots left. You won't see it go below that until
    you have taken enough photos to bring it down to less the 999.

    Scott

    Scott W, Dec 26, 2006

  3. Mat

    ASAAR Guest

    As Scott said, your camera probably limits the total number of
    shots, and you could probably test this by playing around with a
    smaller card and changing the resolution and/or compression. You
    may be assuming that 5mp pictures take up 5mb per picture, but that
    would require a card much larger than 2GB to be able to hold 1000
    shots. How large are the CP S1's pictures? Cameras that use very
    low compression for 5mp pictures might create pictures that average
    close to 2.5MB per shot. This would allow up to 800 shots to be
    saved on a 2GB card. If higher compression is used so that the
    average size of the pictures are less than 2MB each, the same 2GB
    card would be able to hold more than 1000 shots, and the number of
    remaining shots wouldn't start to dip below 999 until enough shots
    were taken. For instance, if the camera assumes that the average
    picture size is 1.8MB, a 2G card could actually hold about 1,111
    shots, and only after taking more than 111 shots would the remaining
    free space on the card dip below 1.8GB, at which point the camera
    would start showing fewer than 999 shots remaining. These numbers
    are only approximate and differences such as that between one
    million bytes and a megabyte have been ignored.

    Your camera's counter limit of 999 may not cause any problems if
    the actual number of shots exceeds 1000, but to be safe, you might
    want to copy the pictures to a computer before 1000 shots have been
    taken for "insurance" purposes, and then continue taking test shots
    to find out for future use whether it's safe to exceed 1000 shots on
    a card. It probably is, but if it isn't, you wouldn't want to make
    that discovery after returning from a trip or vacation with the card
    having many missing pictures or worse . . .

    BTW, before first use, it's best to format memory cards in the
    camera. It's another form of insurance, and it costs nothing but a
    small amount of time.

    ASAAR, Dec 26, 2006
  4. Mat

    banjo Guest

    --

    it could be that the camera can only do 999 pictures per folder.
    add some folders to the card and select one at a time to save the pictures

    banjo, Dec 26, 2006
  5. Mat

    M-M Guest

    5 MP/picture yields a file that is approx 1.2 MB. That would allow over
    1500 pictures on your card.

    As was mentioned, your camera probably only has room for 3 digits in the
    pics remaining counter.

    M-M, Dec 26, 2006
  6. Mat

    Ken Lucke Guest

    Uhm, the "counter" probably only has 3 digits, and can't go any higher,
    so it shows the max number thhat it can until the actual count of
    remaining shots drops below that.

    Not uncommon at all.

    BTW, "5 megapixel per picture" shots is totally misleading and
    unrealted to the storage size of the actual picture, which depends on
    compression setting. For example, I get ~604 10.1 megapixel raw images
    on a 6 gb card. If I switch to shooting .jpgs, that jumps to well over
    8500 (if I was foolish enough to shoot small, highly compressed .jpgs).
    Even at High Quality/Large jpeg mode setting, I can get almost 1600.
    So you can see that 999 pictures from your 5 megapixel camera shooting
    ..jpgs could easily exceed 999.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Dec 26, 2006
  7. Mat

    ASAAR Guest

    I don't think so. My old Canon Powershots (from 2000) only stored
    up to 100 pictures per folder, but didn't limit the number of
    remaining shots displayed to 99. New folders were automatically
    created by the camera as needed. While it's possible, I think it's
    highly unlikely that Nikon would have included such an easily
    detected bug (and bug it would be) in the CP S1's firmware.

    ASAAR, Dec 26, 2006
  8. Mat

    Skip Guest

    Eventually, the count will drop. That "999" is an estimate, and probably
    the count is really in the 1000+ range, but it can't show more than 3
    digits.

    Skip, Dec 27, 2006
  9. Mat

    Ron Hunter Guest

    It seems likely that the firmware programmers never anticipated that a
    card would hold more than 1000 pictures, and didn't allow a 4th digit
    for the number of pictures remaining, so as long as it will hold more
    than 1000 more, the count won't decrement.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 27, 2006
  10. Mat

    Bill Funk Guest

    It's probably that the camera only has 3 digits to display the number
    of shots left.
    My 30D is like that; I put in a 4GB card, it says 999 shots left until
    I take several shots, then decrements normally.

    Bill Funk, Dec 27, 2006
  11. If your camera shots RAW, you can shoot pics and it should drop very
    quickly as RAW images are larger the JPEG.

    Michael Calverley, Dec 27, 2006
  12. Perhaps the camera's counter will not go above 999 so until you have
    shot enough pictures to fill the card to the point where there are less
    than 999 left it will always read 999.

    Ockham's Razor, Dec 27, 2006
  13. Mat

    Aaron Guest

    In point of fact, with an 8GB CF in my 5D on the highest quality JPEG
    setting, I can take almost 500 photos before the counter drops to 998.
    It only has a three-digit display, what can you do?!

    I was out in Death Valley National Park a few weeks ago shooting with
    a couple of my friends and I made it through the entire first day
    without the counter dropping from 999.

    Aaron, Dec 28, 2006