    that not all of my prints will ultimately be displayed as such. Is
    this just a problem of metamerism that cannot be cured, or is there
    some magical fix that I am missing? Please help!

    bghess_sp, Dec 31, 2004

  2. Set the printer to black ink only. It reduces the resolution of the
    print but it's the only way. Epson may also have a grayscale ink kit,
    though I'm sure you'd flush out $50 of ink during the swap.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Dec 31, 2004

  3. bghess_sp

    Jim Guest

    Not metamerism. You experiences show that the only way to get consistent b
    & w prints is to use black ink only.
    Jim

    Jim, Jan 1, 2005
  4. bghess_sp

    JR Guest

    WRONG....You need a RIP software....Imageprint is one, it's like $500
    but it works well...the other is QTR or Quadtone RIP....It's free, and
    it works rather well. I use it all the time for B&W images on the 2200
    and it's stunning. No loss in resolution like using the black ink only,
    smooth and sharp. Excellent. Oh and no green tinted black and white
    images, they all are very neutral. The only issue is it's a little hard
    to install, but once you get it, it's awesome.

    http://harrington.com/QuadToneRIP.html

    This is a link...Mac OSX, Linux and XP....

    JR

    JR, Jan 2, 2005
  5. bghess_sp

    bghess_sp Guest

    Thanks. I have been thinking about getting the ImagePrint RIP, but
    have recently tried the MIS Ultratone inkset with good results. My
    only concern with these inks is the archivability. MIS Associates
    claim they are archival and compare to the Ultrachromes, however, I am
    a little wary as they don't provide figures that the amateur can easily
    translate (ie. they tell how long in years they will last!). They are
    pigment inks, so that is a good sign. I also noticed a tiny bit (barely
    noticable) of loss of detail in some areas, mainly in transitions
    between the darker shades of gray. Otherwise, I am very happy with the
    output of the system. Has anyone had any good/bad experience with MIS?
    Thanks in advance.

    bghess_sp, Jan 2, 2005