    into 32 then use Maclan to network to the Macs. Just want a more
    efficient way of working.

    Thanks if you can assist.

    Richard, Dec 30, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa, Dec 30, 2005

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    In his posting of Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Andre Da Costa writes
    Thanks for that insight, that is bizarre!

    Cheers

    Richard

    Richard, Dec 30, 2005
  4. According to the MacLAN website, the Windows PC only needs TCP/IP, which
    x64 has.

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Dec 30, 2005
  5. You could use Dave on the Mac side, which makes the Macs capable of
    talking "windows networking", rather than as with MacLan, making the PC
    talk "Mac networking".

    Or you could go TCP/IP only, and set up a web server or an FTP server on
    one or other of the machines (doesn't matter which, HTTP/FTP are platform
    agnostic protocols), and use HTTP/FTP to transfer files between the
    machines.

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Dec 30, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa, Dec 30, 2005
  7. Richard

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    I think your most efficient way would be updating your Mac's to OS-X, as
    that version integrates quite well in the Windows-world. You can mount
    disks as access them via the network, just like on a Windows-PC (I think
    that is called SMB).

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Dec 30, 2005
  8. Well, OOB, neither would directly talk to the other. Additional
    configuration work is always required. I think both have the necessary
    options natively available for installation to at least support HTTP/FTP
    sharing.

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Dec 30, 2005
  9. Andre Da Costa, Dec 30, 2005
  10. Richard

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Warning though if the OP would plan to do so, as the latest versions don't
    support MacOS-9 applications anymore.
    At a former employer, we used to hook-up OS-X's in an Ethernet with Windows
    2000 and Windows NT 4, to exchange media. And that worked, but sometimes
    the connection had problems, and transferring data took ages. That might
    have been related to the Mac's though, as every new patch had updates for
    TCP/IP and other networking.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Dec 30, 2005
  11. Richard

    Richard Guest

    In his posting of Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Jud Hendrix writes
    Dear Jud

    Thanks for the thought, however I should explain that the Macs are used
    to do a particular job and the software has not been and will not be
    developed beyond 9.2. Running them in OSX is therefore not an option,
    apart from which they are 450Mhtz G4's though they have over 1G ram
    each.

    Cheers

    Richard, Dec 30, 2005
  12. Richard

    Richard Guest

    In his posting of Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Andre Da Costa writes
    Dear Andre

    Thanks for your contributions. One way around this would be to have
    one of the 2K boxes pick up the files from the Macs via Maclan, then
    simply draw them across from the XP64 box. I find that the transfer of
    files is very much faster between the PC's over the network than it is
    from the Macs to the PC's, but that's a different kind of question<G>

    Richard, Dec 30, 2005
  13. Richard

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    I figured that already. People running still 9.2 at the moment, usually do
    this for a very good reason :)
    I managed to get XP running on a Pentium II, 350MHz, 64MB. It's a tad slow
    though, but worked :) (now that machine is dead).

    Yeah, looks like your option with the intermediatw 2k-box is your best one
    at the moment.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Dec 30, 2005
  14. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 30, 2005
  15. Richard

    Mike M Guest

    I don't know if GroupLogic makes a 64 bit version of their AFP over TCP/IP
    software, ExtremeZ-IP. Heck, the 32 bit version may run just fine on the
    64bit version of Windows, I just don't know for sure. I've been using it on
    Windows servers since 2000. The built-in Mac SFM is iffy at best. I'm not
    a paid spokesman, just a happy customer. :)

    Just my $.02

    Mike M, Dec 31, 2005
  16. Richard

    Richard Guest

    In his posting of Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Mike M writes
    Dear Mike

    Many thanks for that. I'm downloading the trial software right now and
    will see how it does. Will report back on list later.

    Cheers

    Richard

    Richard, Dec 31, 2005
  17. Richard

    Randy Guest

    Yeah, except for those of us limited to Mac OS9 and below due to hardware
    limits...

    Randy, Dec 31, 2005
  18. Richard

    Randy Guest

    Steve,

    I believe that was assuming the Mac end is running Mac OSX and higher...
    with pre-unix versions, you're still stuck with Apple's native protocols or
    a third-party solution such as D.A.V.E. (if I remembered that name
    correctly. ;~)

    Randy, Dec 31, 2005
  19. Andre Da Costa, Dec 31, 2005
  20. There's nothing on the MacLan site to indicate this. It states the
    requirements as:

    * PC with TCP/IP
    * Mac OS 7 or later with AppleTalk

    I get the impression that MacLan implements AppleTalk for itself.

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Dec 31, 2005