    the workgroups are correct. I want to be able to switch which one is
    connected and I can't install and extra network card.

    TIA

    kerplunKuK, Sep 16, 2003

  2. kerplunKuK

    Stevo Guest

    Do you have a router in the network at all? Have you configured the PC for
    ICS? Have you thought about just where on your little network the laptops
    which you have set for auto-configure will obtain an IP/DNS?

    Do you intend to use ICS or are you just setting up a simple workgroup? In
    which case you just need a cross over cable between the PC and whichever
    laptop you want to connect and an IP address (use the 192.168.0.X range!)
    for each of the machines. If the two laptops will NEVER be connected at the
    same time then they can be set to the same IP but it really doesn't achieve
    much. Personally, I would think a switch or even better, a router, would be
    a much better option and provide for some future expansion.

    Oh yes, did you mean you set the PC to 192.158.0.1 (rather than
    195.168.0.1)?

    Stevo, Sep 16, 2003

  3. kerplunKuK

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Use a hub.

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

    Barry OGrady, Sep 16, 2003
  4. kerplunKuK

    why? Guest

    That's 192 and not 195. But if everything is XP then set all 3 to DHCP
    ====
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1918.html
    Address Allocation for Private Internets
    3. Private Address Space

    The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved the
    following three blocks of the IP address space for private internets:
    10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix)
    172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix)
    192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)
    ====

    and let the APIPA automatically issue addresses.

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html
    'automatically configure itself with an IP address from a range that has
    been reserved especially for Microsoft. The IP address range is
    169.254.0.1 through 169.254.255.254. The client also configures itself
    with a default class B subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. A client uses the
    self-configured IP address until a DHCP server becomes available.'

    Workgroups can be different names. It's also a good idea not to use the
    default workgroup name.
    I assume you mean an extra NIC into the PC?

    Get a hub , something like Netgear DS104 (dual speed hub) or a FS105
    (dual speed switch).

    http://www.helmig.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

    Me