    Daddy Guest

    Before I ask: Is this an appropriate newsgroup to ask about networking in Windows 7, or would I be better off in Microsoft's Windows 7 forums?

    Daddy

    Daddy, Sep 12, 2009

  2. Daddy

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    If it concerns any Windows, and Wireless you are in the right place.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack-MVP, Sep 13, 2009

  3. Daddy

    Daddy Guest

    Alright, then. I'm doing research on the web, trying to learn about setting up a home network. I have this real basic question about network discovery, and by that I mean the ability to 'see' other computers and devices on the network, and to have other computers on the network 'see' my computer.

    Is network discovery a functionality that is normally provided by the operating system? For example: In Windows 7 you setup a private (Home or Work) network and the OS automatically turns on network discovery and configures the firewall. Or is network discovery more like the situation with, say, Windows Media Player or Windows Backup, where you can choose to use Windows' own tools or install third-party software?

    Another way to ask my question: As I go about setting up my home network, is one of my decisions going to be whether to use Windows or a third-party product to establish network discovery?

    Thanks for your help. Can you tell that I'm still finding my way regarding networking?

    Daddy

    Daddy, Sep 13, 2009
  4. Daddy

    Pavel A. Guest

    For this specific question, you may want to ask in
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
    and maybe even in microsoft.public.win32.programmer.networks

    Creation of home/small office network and connecting it to internet is
    a very common usage scenario, so yes, the network discovery
    is provided by _modern_ Windows versions.
    This does not exclude using other _compatible_ software.

    Regards,
    --pa

    Pavel A., Sep 13, 2009
  5. Daddy