Networking help

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by anil, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. anil

    anil Guest

    Hello Support,

    Scenario: Stack of server up to 40 servers. These servers are
    connected to LAN and connected to Internet via dedicated line may be
    ADSL/SDSL.

    User from company A starts a terminal server session has to be
    redirected to server A. Similarly Users from Company B redirected
    server B and so forth.

    I was wondering which is best router to handle the job. We will need
    firewall as well.

    Hoping to hear from you soon.

    anil, Jul 22, 2003

  2. :Scenario: Stack of server up to 40 servers. These servers are
    :connected to LAN and connected to Internet via dedicated line may be
    :ADSL/SDSL.

    Just to check: there is just one single dedicated line for the group
    of servers? How you considered a backup link in case the main
    link goes down? Backup links can complicate the configuration
    a lot, but it sounds as if you might be getting to the stage where
    your organization can no longer really afford accidental network
    outages.

    :User from company A starts a terminal server session has to be
    :redirected to server A. Similarly Users from Company B redirected
    :server B and so forth.

    Can you tell from the source addresses which users are from
    company A or company B? Or do the users authenticate themselves
    [e.g. via RADIUS] and the authentication information tells you
    which company they are with?

    Do I understand correctly that the users from Company A are accessing
    the exact same IP address and ports as the users from Company B are,
    but you need to serve them using a different back-end resource?
    If so, then is there a good reason why you do not just give them
    each a different target IP address?

    If your situation is that you can tell from the source addresses
    which company the user is from, and they are all attempting to
    access the same IP address, then one technical solution would be
    to use Policy Based Routing (PBR). You would create a series of
    route-map that matched different source addresses and set different
    next-hops as appropriate.

    If you do not know which company they are with until they
    authenticate, then I cannot think at the moment of how you would
    set it up.

    Walter Roberson, Jul 22, 2003

  3. anil

    RC Guest

    Before I say too much could you clarify something. Are you saying that you
    will have up to 40 terminal servers? How many client sessions at maximum?
    What kind if client sessions? Only reason I ask is because you mentioned
    ADSL/SDSL which just might cause a serious bottleneck.

    The demands on the router are fairly low if you're already limited by you
    connection speed. A 1700 or 2600 would work. The firewall will have more
    impact especially if you're using any VPN connections.

    In the end, the simplest way would be to use different target IP addresses
    for each company.

    RC, Jul 22, 2003
  4. [...]

    Um, sorry, you seem to have misaddressed your message. This isn't
    Support, this is Usenet.

    F'up2poster

    Tilman Schmidt, Jul 23, 2003