networking, ftp and ip address help needed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Guest, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I am trying to serve as an ftp server to share files with some of my
    friends. Nothing that I have tried works. I even shut off my firewalls and
    still no good. I have a dsl connection, to a hub and splitting to my 2
    computers. A good router should be here any day! Why do both of my
    computers have the same ip address on the net?
    I know that's probably what's messing things up. I do not have these 2
    computers networked together. I went to whatismyip.com and both pc's are
    the same..why?
    When I use Serv-u ftp i get this error when starting my server:
    (SERVER IS NOT LISTENING ON IP 12.180.99.xxx: Trying to use non-existent IP
    address?)

    I just want to start a server and share some apps w/ ease if that's possible
    with my setup lol

    Thanks in advance and sorry for the LONG post,
    brad

    Guest, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Guest

    madmax Guest

    Your ISP is the one that provides you with the one ip addy.
    call them and they will gladly sell you another.
    -max

    --
    Programs that I use and recommend (all are free)
    Many thanks to all the people who make these fine products!
    Spybot Search and Destroy 1.3
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    Spyware Blaster
    Spyware Guard
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Sygate Personal Firewall
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm
    Avast! For Home
    Eraser 5.3
    http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/
    CwShredder
    HijackThis
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
    Thunderbird
    Firefox

    This message is virus free as far I can tell
    Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply
    Use in Usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

    madmax, Jun 13, 2004

  3. Guest

    PJB Guest

    you're problem is the hub, you are sharing, or trying to
    share, one connection (IP) between 2 pc's, it won't work ;-)
    Connect the pc hosting the ftp server to your DSL modem
    (without the hub), leave the other out of the loop till your
    router arrives.

    P.

    PJB, Jun 13, 2004