    My idea is to have the desktop in the conservatory, laptop wherever and
    router in the lounge 30ft away.....no cables.

    Anypone help?

    dave, Dec 6, 2007

  2. dave

    Rob Morley Guest

    Why not just try it with either device and see how well it works?
    USB and PCI wireless devices can both have shortcomings, but if you get
    acceptable performance you don't need to worry about them.

    Rob Morley, Dec 6, 2007

  3. dave

    Kris Guest

    "HomePlug" ethernet over mains power would be a good solution for this.
    Devolo dLAN units seem to have a good reputation compared to others like
    Negear.

    Wireless can suffer from intermittent interference, and it's always good
    to avoid adding to the wifi smog unless you have to. The general
    concensus is that HomePlug works and keeps working very well once set
    up, though some people have problems with i.e. plugging them into
    extension cables. Also, some people report that the devices are
    sensitive to electrical surges.

    Kris, Dec 6, 2007
  4. dave

    dave Guest

    Thanks for both replies.

    What I really want to know is if I unplug the network cable from the
    desktop, to position the router in the lounge where I want it....will I
    still be able to connect using the wireless device?
    And then.....how :)

    dave, Dec 6, 2007
  5. dave

    robert Guest

    If your desktop has a wireless adaptor then Yes your idea will work.

    The router dos not need a network cable connection to work though it
    makes the initial setup alot easier.

    Unplug the network cable, enable the wireless device on the desktop and
    hopefully it will all work.
    Make sure you have any security code details etc written down first and
    dont move the router till its all working !

    robert, Dec 6, 2007
  6. dave

    dave Guest

    Thanks all, got it working lovely now!