Networking 2 pcs together to play a network game of Starcraft, help!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jeff, Oct 16, 2005.

  1. jeff

    jeff Guest

    I've got 2 PCs sitting here and I want to get a game of Starcraft
    going with my cousin.

    I have internet on both pcs, inet is coming from router and then
    plugged into a switch in my room. That switch is connected to both my
    PCs.

    Do I need to do anything inside windows to get the 2 computers
    'connected' to each other? I'd like to share files and be able to
    connect to a game server on the other machine.

    I remember Starcraft using IPX, Im thinking this isn't loaded by
    default in XP Pro, so I'll need to figure out how to enable that....

    Anything else you can think of to do inside windows to get these
    computers networked together?

    thank you!

    jeff, Oct 16, 2005

  2. jeff

    why? Guest

    That's a big start.
    Have you thought of reading past posts in 24HSHD with list of links for
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
    Results 1 - 10 of 1,870 from Jan 1, 2004 to Jun 15, 2005 for
    home network

    No, so lets repeat them, it's all copy and paste.

    Toolman Tim post -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
    http://www.homepcnetwork.com/
    or search at Google for Home Networking for plenty more help...

    A Mike post -
    Step by Step: Networking for Dummies
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guide.htm

    DIY home networking guides and tutorials
    http://www.homenethelp.com/

    WLAN Wireless Networking
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wlan.htm

    Home and Small Office Networking with Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/

    How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936

    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

    From a why? post -
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...s_miny=2004&as_maxd=15&as_maxm=6&as_maxy=2005
    or shorter
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?D1872344B

    or ripped from several previous posts -

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

    See Index for ICS, check the step-by-step articles maybe?
    http://www.wown.com/

    maybe here as well
    http://www.firewall.cx/

    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

    http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/common/

    One of the sites mentioned in other posts,
    http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/diagram-multiport-router.html

    See comments above.

    Nothing in the notes for Starcraft?

    Nothing in the XP Help? Try
    Start | Help and Support | search for - ipx

    There are 34 reults for IPX, the 1st is
    Configure an incoming connection to use IPX.

    Follow the instructions.

    As it's a MS product
    You Searched: Windows XP
    For: ipx
    In:
    English Knowledge Base (KB)
    All of Microsoft.com
    • Search Help
    Search Results
    Results 1-20
    Same for searching past posts

    and the XP Help and Support for file print sharing
    30 results, 1st task
    Enable file and print sharing using the network wizard.

    and the MS search link.

    You Searched: Windows XP
    For: file print share
    In: