networked computers not recognizing each other

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Dennis, Sep 10, 2008.

  1. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    When I recently replaced my router with a Belkin N1 wireless (the old one was
    also a Belkin wireless) the three computers on my local network stopped
    recognizing each other (2 run XP and are wired to the router and one runs
    Vista and is wireless). They all access the internet just fine. All are in
    the same workgroup and all recognize the workgroup--but only see the local
    machine, not the other two.

    I've enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP, disabled the router firewall, made sure
    the protocols on my Norton anti-virus firewall allows sharing over the
    network, double checked that file and print sharing is turned on, deleted the
    network and established a new one with a different name, and gone through a
    few Microsoft postings, all without success. Each computer will ping itself
    over the network but not the others.

    Belkin customer support ran me through router diagnostic and firmware
    updates and insist the problem can't be coming from the router--and told me I
    was on my own.

    Would anyone have other suggestions? There are no error messages. Each
    computer just doesn't see the others.

    Thank you!!

    Dennis, Sep 10, 2008

  2. Dennis

    smlunatick Guest

    Check the Norton Anti-Virus set ups. NAV has an ongoing problem in
    the Internet worm virus module which blocks the NetBIOS "name
    resolution." This blocks all access to see the PCs by name (\\PC1)
    but should let you see them by IP address (\\192.168.0.1.)

    smlunatick, Sep 10, 2008

  3. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    thank you thank you thank you thank you. I've lost track of the hours I've
    spent on this. Your suggestino worked in 60 seconds. Not sure why Norton
    allowed access with my old Belkin and denied it with the new since the
    computer IP addresses didn't change but it's working now!

    Thank you again.

    Dennis, Sep 10, 2008
  4. Dennis

    smlunatick Guest

    Depending on which version of NAV, since you changed your router, it
    would possibly have a different wireless SSID. My Norton 306 v1 (and
    v2) was disconnecting my new router's SSID but let my older SSID
    thorough. After several tests (and a PC meltdown crash) I discovered
    the software must be told which wireless network SSID to "trust."

    smlunatick, Sep 10, 2008
  5. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    thank you again. I also have Norton 360v2 and I did give wireless network a
    new SSID but Norton recognized it right away, perhaps because both routers
    were Belkin. It just needed the IP addresses added as trusted sites.

    Thanks again.

    Dennis, Sep 10, 2008