    access the internet but I can't seem to access and of the shared files or
    printers. I have tried workgroups but that hasn't helped anyone have a way I
    can fix this?

    Guest, Oct 16, 2006

  2. Guest

    David Hettel Guest

    How to set up a home network:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/homenet.mspx

    If that doesn't work for you, try the network troubleshooter by MVP
    Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
    pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet

    This is generally caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the Network Setup
    Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File & Printer Sharing, and
    then reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows
    Firewall. If you don't have a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
    "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area Network
    traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an IP range.
    Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your
    correct subnet.

    --
    David Hettel

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com