Network Timeout and Network Neighborhood question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lowly Engineer, Feb 21, 2006.

  1. I have 10 computers on my home network. Some are on 24/7, some are
    not.

    When I access those computers, sometimes their icons get automatically
    added to the Network Neighborhood screen.

    If they are in that group, and they aren't turned on, it takes a very
    long time to bring up the screen when I wish to view the network. If
    I delete the icons for the machines that aren't running, access times

    Is there a way that I can reduce the timeout so that network access
    doesn't take so long when machines are OFF? All the computers are
    fast, and on a GigE network, so that short timeouts shouldn't present
    a problem.

    What determines when an icon for a computer gets added to the Network
    Neighborhood group?

    TIA

    Lowly Engineer, Feb 21, 2006

  2. Lowly Engineer

    why? Guest

    That's nice, it matters what OS not?

    Actually it does, keep the PC with the newest ver on Win on 24/7 or turn
    it on first.
    None of my watches or clocks measure time in units of 'very long time'.
    What's the GigE have to do with anything?
    That's a big story, try searching for -

    NetBIOS , Network Neighborhood , Browse List , Browse Service.

    Lots of URLs often posted for homenetworking sites, search

    Me

    why?, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Lowly Engineer

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Specify OS and network protocol.
    How long in minutes?
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Feb 22, 2006
  4. XP Pro - completely updated tcp/ip
    About 45 seconds.

    Lowly Engineer, Feb 22, 2006
  5. I should also state that all network addresses are static.
    If all machines are turned ON, then "Network Neighborhood"
    comes up instantly. Only when one or more computers are
    turned OFF do I get the delay.

    Lowly Engineer, Feb 22, 2006