NETWORK SPEED ON A PEER TO PEER SYSTEM (EASY QUESTION)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tom Tricep, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. Tom Tricep

    Tom Tricep Guest

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    I have two computers that plug into a hub, a 10/100 hub. The hub is 2
    years old.

    From there, the hub travels 40 feet back to a router, a Lyncsys, that
    is right next to the computer with the data base.

    Problem: my two work stations get really slow when they are both
    working on the same program. The program is designed to be fast with
    multiple users.

    The hub would appear to be the problem. Should I just buy a new hub?
    Can I buy a second router and use that in place of a hub? Would that
    handle a "glut" of information better?

    Do hubs go out? Is there a recommended service life to a hub? I am
    near the beach as well.

    Tom Tricep

    Tom Tricep, Apr 12, 2006

  2. Tom Tricep

    Tony Guest

    Hmmm, probably caused by the sea air and sand particles in the air.

    You haven't mentioned what speed your network cards are. If one is a 10mb,
    the everything on the hub will be 10mb. It would probably improve things if
    you used a switch opposed to a hub. A second router would be of no benefit
    and unless you want the two PC's to be on a separate network to the one
    connected to the existing router, it would be the wrong tool for the job.

    Hubs do go bad in various ways. Life expectancy would vary depending on the
    conditions it is used in (e.g ambient temperature) and manufacturer.
    Switches are pretty cheap now anyway.

    Perhaps it has suffered from over exposure to ozone, being close to the sea.

    Tony, Apr 12, 2006

  3. Tom Tricep

    why? Guest

    By a hub do you mean a repeater or a switch. Brand / model numbers
    always help. You are sure about the 10/100?

    Does the OS you are using tell you anything about the connection?

    Have you left your network port settings at auto detect? Have you forced
    the setting to 100Mbps Full duplex, if it's a switch?

    If it's a repeater , is it what's often called a dual speed hub.

    Have you checked the LEDs on the NICs at the back of the PC / on the
    hub, the port on the router do they tell you the speed / duplex?

    If it's a hub is there a LED(s) for collisions / utilisation, does this
    go from blinking to lit up all the time? If you stop using 1 PC does the
    LED change yo blink or mostly off.
    You mean Lyncsys and not Linksys?

    If this is a repeater then that's the sort of issue you may see, the
    connection is shared and only 1 PC can talk in the wire at once.

    40ft not an issue, unless the cable has problems.

    You could run another 40ft cable back to the router for the 2nd PC,
    remove the hub so both PCs are connected directly to the router, if
    there is a spare port, or move the PCs closer for testing. If the router
    has 4 ports is going to be a switch and show improved performance.

    Remember you are still working 2 PCs to a single PC running the
    database, it that PC up to the job.
    What program?
    Assuming Windows OS, of some unspecified version? You could try running
    iperf, it's simple to run , there are non Windows versions as well.
    Depends on how you get your IP address settings, but 2 routers is to be
    avoided. A router is used to connect 2 different network together like
    your PCs to your ISP.

    If it's a peer-to-peer system you don't need a router, unless it's there
    for internet access.
    A switch would be better then a repeater.
    Yes, Yes.
    Me

    why?, Apr 13, 2006