    who to talk with or articles that would help are GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

    Brian Smith

    Brian.David.Smith, Apr 10, 2008

  2. Brian.David.Smith

    Lem Guest

    If you're considering this for a business, you should only use WPA2
    anyway, from a security point of view.

    From the client side, the ability to use WPA2 is dependent on hardware
    (the wireless NIC), the driver software for the wireless NIC, and the OS.

    The good news is that Windows XP (assuming that all critical updates and
    service packs have been applied -- and you shouldn't permit anyone on
    your company's LAN if that's not the case) and Windows Vista both can do
    WPA2.

    Most recent wireless adapters also can handle WPA2, although some may
    need a driver update.

    The bottom line is that you should implement WPA2 on your company's
    router, and if someone is unable to connect, deal with that on a case by
    case basis by upgrading hardware or software as necessary.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Apr 10, 2008

  3. Brian.David.Smith

    John Guest

    Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (KB893357) for WinXP isn't installed by default
    unless MS has recently changed its delivery thru automatic update. A fully
    patched WinXP SP2 still doesn't have KB893357 installed. You must manually
    install it. I think WinXP SP3 includes WPA2.

    John, Apr 10, 2008
  4. Brian.David.Smith

    Lem Guest

    Thanks for picking that up.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Apr 10, 2008
  5. I have downloaded the patch and am trying it out on a test machine.
    Thanks for the help!

    Brian.David.Smith, Apr 10, 2008
  6. Brian.David.Smith

    Pavel A. Guest

    Several software products exist that do WPA2 stuff on the server side
    and also provide access and policy control for wi-fi gateways - perhaps
    you'd want to check out these.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Apr 11, 2008