Network Range

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Geoff Lane, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane Guest

    I've got a Dell AXIM, PPC2003 OS with supplied 11 mbs wireless card.

    After some initial teething problems I have managed a reliable connection.

    I am now wondering about the efficiency of the Dell badged wireless card.

    I've got a Netgear 54 mbs Access Point and to get a decent connection with
    my Handheld I need to change the transmit speed down to 11 mbs. I was
    getting about 40% losses from PING messages whereas at 11 mbs it is fine.

    Now I find that if I walk more than about 30 feet away from my AP I lose the
    signal - this is not much better than bluetooth.

    My daughter's laptop reports an 80% signal on her PC card at the top of out
    garden about 60 feet away.

    I have tried different channels with limited success, am I expecting too
    much or should the range be more than 30 feet.

    I appreciate walls have an effect but I am able to compare it with my
    daughter's laptop.

    Geoff Lane, Aug 22, 2003