    Also, I've got a new HP printer/scanner, would the scanner work via a
    network.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Dec 26, 2007

  2. Geoff Lane

    Clint Sharp Guest

    I've had no problems using a HP Jetdirect card in any of my printers
    (Business Inkjet 1100 and Laserjet 4200) Ubuntu just works with them
    (they actually auto-configured correctly!) and XP has no issue with them
    but I did need to download drivers for the printers.
    Possibly not, generally home desktop scanners don't (of course there are
    exceptions) but you still need to visit the scanner, much easier to scan
    to a shared folder on the machine it's plugged into or a shared folder
    on the destination machine.

    Clint Sharp, Dec 26, 2007

  3. Geoff Lane

    geffers Guest

    I've just connected a HP 5280 printer, scanner to my Ubuntu system,
    works
    fine but for some reason does not show up on my SAMBA network.

    Exactly the same settings as my previously connected Epsom (which
    worked
    fine).

    The XP printer wizard indicates a + symbol by my Ubuntu computer name
    which suggests it should show a printer but it is blank.

    The only difference between the two printers (apart from the make) is
    my Epsom
    was a parallel connection and the HP a USB but as it works fine (print
    and scan)
    on the Ubuntu machine I would have thought the SAMBA network should be
    OK.

    Geoff Lane

    geffers, Dec 27, 2007
  4. I have both internal and external HP jetdirects on my printers. All
    usable by a variety of Windows machines, SCO Unix and HPUX.

    Don C

    Donald Campbell, Dec 28, 2007