network is not accessible

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Mar 23, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi, I'm a homeworker with a PC trying to set up a broadband wireless network
    with two notebooks, all running XP Home Edition SP2. The PC has the printers
    installed and I want the notebooks to have access to them. The router
    software does not support this, but BT in the UK says that if you can access
    the internet from any of the computers, it shouldn't be a problem. Neither
    the wireless network or normal network set-up wizards work. My PC is an
    ex-office networked coomputer that was upgraded from W98. The PC knows that I
    have tried to set up the network and knows its name, but on Network Places I
    get the message "XYZnetwork is not accessible. You might not have permission
    to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
    find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this
    workgroup is not currently available." I've spent two days going through
    every possible work-through, including starting in safe mode, but nothing
    works. Does my computer think it's still on its old network, even though I
    can't find any reference to it, because another error message on the wizard
    suggests that it's joined to a domain, but again I can't find anything. One
    of the notebooks knows that a workgroup has been set up on the PC and
    recognises its name, but again hasn't got permission from the PC to access
    it. Please help.

    Guest, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Peter Bui[MS], Mar 24, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks, Peter. I'd already gone through the first two work-throughs that you
    list, but I will focus on the Network Places aspects of the Troubleshooting
    Guide which I hadn't seen before. I'm still puzzled though by my host PC
    needing permission to see/access its own network that it's created. Any hints
    please on how I solve this?

    Guest, Mar 25, 2005