Network from Scratch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joelmillhouse, Sep 8, 2012.

  1. joelmillhouse

    joelmillhouse

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi all, first post:

    I am moving and am able to start from scratch building my network. My primary concern is that I will be running an HTPC with multiple extenders, So I am going to put in the work and run ethernet to at least 4 locations. The ISP provides a simple modem with a single port. I figure I will need 2 wireless access points that I will place wherever I run the ethernet for the extenders.

    My question is: what are the hardware components I need to make this happen?

    * Do I need a switch or a router? (I've never been clear on the difference)
    * Which is best (I've had trouble before with routers not recognizing hostname)
    * What devices do I use as access points?
    * If I install the access point devices a the location I have wired devices, can I run 1 lead and plug the wired device into the access point?
    * Is there anything else I should be doing while building the network?

    All advice is appreciated.

    Thanks
    Joel

    joelmillhouse, Sep 8, 2012