"Network did not assign network address.."

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by momo212, Apr 28, 2008.

  1. momo212

    momo212

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,

    I'm having some trouble getting a computer connecting to the internet.

    I am using a Netgear MR814v3 router connected to a Mac Mini (OS X v 10.4.11) with a Netgear WPN111 wireless adapter attached to a PC running WinXP SP2. My internet is through a cable modem. I can't connect to the internet with the PC, but internet works fine on the Mac.

    Connectivity in the past has been perfect. Nothing was changed on either system that seemed to cause the change though I have since reinstalled XP without effect and have tried a couple of different things to try to isolate the problem. The computer connects to the internet via the cable modem directly just fine and I can connect wirelessly to other unsecured networks
    in my area. It just doesn't like mine. I've also disabled security to no effect.

    When trying to connect, using the Netgear wireless config utility, it shows that it's connected to the router, sits for a bit and then drops the connection. During this process, I've taken a look at the Wireless Network Connection Status windows via the taskbar and under the Support tab, under Connection Status next to IP address it shows "Assigned by DHCP server," then changes to "Automatic Private Address" and then, finally, the box changes to show:

    Limited or No Connectivity
    You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. This problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer.

    Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

    momo212, Apr 28, 2008

  2. momo212

    momo212

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Problem solved

    Wireless adapter just crapped out on me - it's 3 1/2 years old, so I suppose that's reasonable. I bought a new adapter and problem was solved.

    momo212, May 1, 2008