    or is there a better way of doing it .The router has several Ethernet
    connections on the back of it .
    Stuart

    Guest, Jul 28, 2008

  2. Guest

    robert Guest

    I'm
    I have thick stone walls in a 3 storey town house.
    I find that with the wireless router sited under the stairs I get good
    coverage throughout the house and in the backyard.

    But I ran Cat5 everywhere while renovating, buy a reel of it and run 1
    or 2 cables everywhere while you can. A proper tool for pushing it into
    the contacts on the sockets is well worth it.

    robert, Jul 28, 2008

  3. Guest

    Bernard Peek Guest

    If you are going to be lifting the floorboards then you could lay CAT6
    cable everywhere, even if you don't currently plan to need sockets in
    those areas. Extra cable is cheap compared with the hassle of lifting
    floorboards again to put in another cable. Even better, lay conduit with
    some string in it in case you ever want to lay a different cable.

    But unless you need high speed PC-to-PC connections cable is probably an
    overkill. Either use the newest 802.11n wifi to get better wifi
    transmission or try powerline networking over the existing mains cables.

    Bernard Peek, Jul 28, 2008
  4. Guest

    Rob Morley Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:17:15 +0100
    Note that patch leads are usually multi-stranded, so you can't use the
    cable with the punch-down connectors in standard wall sockets.

    Rob Morley, Jul 29, 2008
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I've ordered some cat5 solid core cable and wall sockets so might as
    well do it while boards are up .Thx all

    Guest, Jul 29, 2008