Network attached storage

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by scoob, May 2, 2005.

  1. scoob

    scoob Guest

    Hi,

    I'm looking for advise on best options please.

    We currently have two pc's and a laptop on the home network, all connecting
    through a Linksys WRT54G (wireless G) router. One pc connected through RJ45
    ethernet and two via wireless.
    We also have home cctv running through the wired pc and rather than going
    through the (i suspect laborious) process of trying to get some sort of
    remote monitoring company involved and sap bandwidth, i'm thinking the next
    best step is to have some sort of network attached storage drive that i can
    connect straight to the router and hide away somewhere to store all the
    recorded data on.

    I have been looking at the buffalo linkstation products which do sound
    ideal, but wonder if there are any other alternatives out there that are
    comparable, better or cheaper.

    Whatever external storage i use, it will have to be wired (to the router
    preferably as that's not too obvious) as when the cctv is in use, (it's
    wireless and on the same frequencies), the routers wireless-ability won't
    play ball and refuses to let the wireless pc & lappy get anywhere.

    hope someone has some ideas,

    Scoob

    scoob, May 2, 2005

  2. scoob

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    Yes , cheap old PC with a couple of huge hard drives in them.
    --
    Alex

    Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
    Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

    www.drzoidberg.co.uk
    www.sffh.co.uk
    www.ebayfaq.co.uk

    Dr Zoidberg, May 2, 2005

  3. scoob

    Alex Fraser Guest

    [snip]
    Unfortunately, "huge hard drives" can present problems for a "cheap old
    PC"...

    OTOH I don't remember being very impressed by the NAS-type things such as
    the LinkStation the OP mentioned, but I looked quite some time ago.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, May 2, 2005
  4. scoob

    nog Guest

    .... plus the reduced reliability.

    nog, May 3, 2005
  5. scoob

    Alex Fraser Guest

    Reduced reliability of what, compared to what?

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, May 3, 2005
  6. scoob

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    True , but a PCI IDE controller card can be had for not much money at all.

    Dr Zoidberg, May 3, 2005
  7. scoob

    Dave J. Guest

    Bolt on IDE (or SATA?) interface cards are a not too expensive solution to
    that one.

    The critical factor to me for rigging up a windoze based relic is whether
    it will accept enough RAM, if you've got the disk space and the RAM then
    even XP will run on some seriously ancient tat.

    A friend of mine is using an old PII 233 Mhz thing (once was my pride and
    joy :)) as a file archive + printer share + psuedo router to split his
    1Meg broadband around a 4 machine network. It works a treat. The 288 Meg
    of ram was an important ingredient..

    Dave J., May 3, 2005
  8. scoob

    nog Guest

    An old PC will have used up more of its mtbf than a latter day one.

    nog, May 3, 2005
  9. scoob

    Alex Fraser Guest

    I disagree with your implication. Historically, a PC that survives three
    years is very likely to last twenty if given the chance, except for
    mechanical parts.

    There also seems to be some truth in the phrase, "They don't make them like
    they used to."

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, May 4, 2005
  10. scoob

    nog Guest

    Doesn't square with my own experience but, if it's true for you, I guess
    that's irrelevant.

    nog, May 4, 2005
  11. scoob

    Rob Morley Guest

    You mean painfully slow and hideously expensive? :)

    Rob Morley, May 4, 2005
  12. scoob

    Ian Stirling Guest

    Ian Stirling, Jun 5, 2005
  13. scoob

    Kiran Guest

    Hi

    I am thinking of getting a NAS 200GB/300GB - but i want to make it act
    as a server with Windows 2000 server or 2003 on it?

    Therefore when using logon they can get authorisation from the NAS
    [with win 2000 server on it] and logon with their files.

    Would this work?

    I don't won't to run a proper PC all the time but rather run one of
    these Nas as they are lot quieter, cheaper and smaller!

    What do you think - can you do it? would work? has anybody tried this?

    Thanks

    Kiran

    Kiran, Jun 8, 2005
  14. scoob

    poster Guest

    I doubt it will be as easy as that - for a start, you'll probably be
    needing to wipe the existing software, and then will have no support
    from the supplier/manufacturer. I don't have a NAS box here, and my
    contact (in a firm I used to work for, but which is now a client) is
    away for 3 weeks, so not something I can check easily. I'd check on
    a few NAS supplier sites, chat with/e-mail the sales team, and see.

    Do let us know how you get on - I would not want to do this myself,
    as the NAS is likely to be put to better use in storing backups of
    data rather than being used as a large disk store - backups might
    become a headache if it gets daily use for 'workspace' as there
    will be lots of data in incremental backups to fill its space.

    poster, Jun 8, 2005
  15. scoob

    JJ Guest

    I doubt very much you can do what you want to achieve. As a NAS is
    just a storage device and will not allow to boot up like a normal
    server.

    JJ, Jun 8, 2005
  16. scoob

    David Wade Guest

    Most NAS boxes need a sperate windows/2000 or similar box to handle
    authentication.
    Most NAS boxes don't run Windows/2000 because you would need client
    licenses...
    Not on any I have seen...
    And limited in function. I think many run embeded Linux with SAMBA.
    NO, They are set up as member servers, so you need a seperate domain
    controller....

    David Wade, Jun 8, 2005
  17. While there are some that run Windows servers, I think these are
    running Windows storage server which is a bit different from the
    standard Windows server packages - viz they can't act as the domain
    controler IIRC. I have never seen the point of such devices, because
    they are usually grossly expensive (several thousand quid), and there
    are much more cost effective/cheaper options available using a Linux
    powered system - Linux powered as running Linux OS, but the control is
    done via a web browser.

    I have a Buffalo Linkstation which I got quite cheaply with 120GB
    which I use to backup the contents of the Windows 2003 system, which
    holds all users documents and acts as the email server/domain
    controler. Backups are done on a nightly schedule starting around
    02:00 and usually take around 50-60 minutes to do on our very small
    system - this works fine for us. You could also get a Linux based
    device which can act as the domain controler in very much the way you
    want - several of these devices exist either as purchasible options or
    as open source/unsupported releases. With the right hardware you
    could really do a lot with such a combination.

    Thanks.
    Andrew.

    Andrew Hodgson, Jun 9, 2005
  18. scoob

    Kiran Guest

    Thanks for that advice.

    Andrew - can i ask what types of devices are avaible and their names
    please?! Thanks

    However it seems that i will just purchase a NAS purely for back and
    have a server of 2003 on as well. Before i go ahead i will check with
    manufactures to see if this a viable option.

    Thanks

    Kiran

    Kiran, Jun 10, 2005
  19. Well I use a cheap Buffalo Linkstation which cost me around £70 on
    Ebay. This was some time ago though. There are higher capabilities
    available. There are many other NAS products made by Linksys (who I
    never touch), and other usual culprits. As this is a home network
    group I won't bother going into the very expensive options :).
    Ok. 2k3 SBS is quite cheap and gives you lots of options.

    Andrew.

    Andrew Hodgson, Jun 10, 2005
  20. scoob

    Kiran Guest

    Can i ask why not Linksys? - are they not that good?

    Kiran, Jun 14, 2005