Network Admin Work Load

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by James, Jul 18, 2005.

  1. James

    catwalker63 Guest

    It probably is. This is a good place to vent frustrations. I agree that
    documentation is vital but you may be naive to think that it equals job
    security. If your company can't support your salary for some reason, you
    may find yourself layed off through no fault of your own. Overhead is
    the first to go. The way you improve your security is by proving that
    you are not overhead, but instead a vital part of achieving a company's
    business goals. In a small company where you have a straight line of
    communication with the people who run the business, this should be much
    easier.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    catwalker63, Jul 25, 2005

  2. James

    Guest Guest

    I agree with this... Whoever is spending time encoding their product
    documentation isn't the kind of guy I want working for me.

    Yes, job security can be important, but if your way of making it through
    life is to try and create circumstances where you control the people who
    hired you, you suck. And if they get the feeling that you're trying to do
    that, you'll be gone regardless, or they'll be out of business sooner or
    later anyway. No one is really indispensible. Even if you don't document
    your product and you write it entirely in greek, as long as they have the
    code to the product, they can kick your sorry hind end out of the building
    and lock the door behind you.

    Does the company that pays you deserve to lose big if you get in an accident
    or if you get sick? That's not a good situation.

    Yeah, there are terrible bosses out there who waste more time than necessary
    on their power bases and will probably play games to put you in a bad
    position, but don't be a fink. If they are willing to pay you to develop a
    product and they are willing to pay for a documentation phase, just do it.
    If they turn into rats afterwards, well, at least you weren't the scum.

    Now, if you are a contractor, and there is a payment situation where they
    haven't compensated you and they are demanding more and unwilling to pay, I
    might prescribe preventative measures, but that's entirely different from a
    salaried employee. Of course, it's probably better to avoid such situations,
    although we rarely have foresight enough to deal with them, and we more
    often than not do need capital in order to keep existing.

    8 years in the same job isn't necessarily my prescription for a happy
    existance, either, but to each their own.

    Guest, Jul 26, 2005