[netscape 7.02][mail] all reset, need help!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by gnu9903, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. gnu9903

    gnu9903 Guest

    All my preference settings in Netscape have been reset to default.
    Mail has no accounts defined and tries to run me through account setup
    when I start it up.

    I know all my mail subfolders are somewhere in
    D&S\$username$\mozilla\profiles\default\mail. I have several folders
    there from old configurations but I think the "right" one is
    $servername$\inbox.sbd, since inside that are a bunch of .msf files
    that correspond to all my mail subfolders.

    What is the least painful way to restore my mail? I didn't have very
    dramatic settings in the browser itself, so I just redid those by
    hand. But my mail has lots of folders and I do not want to lose my
    saved messages.

    I have Win2k.

    I believe a malicious email that I received just before it happened
    caused this. But that's a moot point I suppose.

    Thanks
    gnu

    gnu9903, Jul 15, 2003

  2. gnu9903

    Me2U Guest

    Now you understand why I've stuck with version 4.8 of Nscp Messenger. Much
    easier to
    correct problems. Scan all those files with AV first. Make backup copies
    to another folder
    incase you mess things up. Have all mail go to a new folder like Mail2 and
    then try and import
    the original mailboxes. Before that check and see if your mail is set to
    look in the same folder
    where the messages are at, you may get lucky and only have to change the
    path statement.

    Me2U, Jul 15, 2003

  3. gnu9903

    Me2U Guest

    If you have something important in those files you wish to extract, here's
    a little trick. Since the files are all text encoded you can copy each mail

    file (erroneously called "folders") to a different folder and add UUE to the

    file extension, such that "inbox" becomes "inbox.uue". After doing that
    if you have Winzip on your computer just double clk the file, clk past any
    missing
    EOF error messages. There you will see all the messages displayed as text
    files
    and all the attachments as separate files ready to be extracted.

    Me2U, Jul 15, 2003
  4. gnu9903

    Boomer Guest

    (gnu9903) wrote in
    Hi

    You might want to ask here
    netscape.public.mozilla.general
    or check out these links:

    http://members.rogers.com/solon/Netscape.html
    http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/index6.html#4ts

    Boomer, Jul 15, 2003
  5. gnu9903

    rifleman Guest

    And then you'll get respectfully re-directed to
    netscape.netscape7.windows

    rifleman, Jul 15, 2003
  6. gnu9903

    Boomer Guest

    I haven't been re-directed.

    Boomer, Jul 15, 2003
  7. gnu9903

    rifleman Guest

    Well netscape 7 is not thought of as Moz - although it's based on Moz
    1.x :)

    rifleman, Jul 15, 2003
  8. gnu9903

    gnu9903 Guest

    Thank you, I'll remember that next time. In my search for an
    appropriate newsgroup the netscape groups never showed up....

    In the meanwhile I did manage to get it back quite painlessly!
    I backed up the directory where all my old stuff was. (Turned out
    unnecessary).
    I ran through setting up a "new" account in Netscape mail.
    A new directory was created in that monstrously long folder name
    (\D&S\app data\mozilla\profiles\default\hash.slt\etc.)
    I copied everything from the old stuff folder to the new stuff folder.
    When I exited mail and restarted it, all my stuff was there!

    Apparently when you create a new account even if you have a server
    with the same name as your "old" server, the setup creates a brand new
    folder and puts a -1, -2, etc to make it unique. I guess the netcape
    people are not into deleting things unlike the microsoft people.

    Thanks again
    gnu

    gnu9903, Jul 15, 2003
  9. gnu9903

    rifleman Guest

    Glad to hear you're OK again - if you want to access that newsgroup, you
    have to set the server settings to "secure" (Port 563) BEFORE
    downloading groups otherwise you'll just get the public ones.

    HTH

    rifleman, Jul 16, 2003