Netopia R5300 T1 - Any QOS Settings or Priority Queing

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Andrew Albert, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. I have found the one setting in the configuration about prioritizing
    delay sensitive data, but not much else on the router...

    Background: Have a client who added a Barracuda spam filter to their
    network, and redirected their email (10,000+ a day) from their ISP to
    their 768k fractional T1.... On this same T1 they also have an Axxess
    VOIP setup for their remote offices. Router is a Netopia R5300 T1.

    Problem: Since the introduction of the Barracuda, DNS calls and SMTP
    traffic seem to have congested the circuit a lot, and voice users
    complain of call cutting out. T1 provider reports that the circuit is
    not at full utilization, but that there is a lot of DNS traffice being
    generated from the Barracuda. In looking at the configuration of the
    Netopia I see no way of prioritizing data by port/protocol (like you
    would find in a Cisco)...

    Question: Am I missing something here... Is there some way to give
    VOIP priority on the router over DNS and SMTP traffic... or am I stuck
    with the one yes/no checkbox for prioritizing time sensitive data?

    Any guidance would be appreciated.

    Regards,

    Andy

    Andrew Albert, Feb 3, 2005