NetGear WNR2000v2

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by Scotty, Nov 13, 2012.

  1. Scotty

    Scotty Guest

    Interesting discussion just had a few posts ago regarding the subject
    router. I just switched over to one a couple weeks ago, and just upgraded
    the firmware yesterday by using the internal "upgrade firmware" menu item. I
    can't remember the exact version of the firmware upgrade, but I believe it
    was something like "1_2???". It was not listed on the NetGear site as
    downloadable, and I was surprised the router connected and found it.

    This morning I checked the router log and it had the following in it:

    [LAN access from remote] from 157.56.149.61:3544 to 192.168.0.108:1489
    Monday, Nov 12,2012 23:58:34
    [LAN access from remote] from 157.56.149.61:3544 to 192.168.0.108:1489
    Monday, Nov 12,2012 23:53:23
    [LAN access from remote] from 157.56.149.61:3544 to 192.168.0.108:1489
    Monday, Nov 12,2012 23:48:03
    [LAN access from remote] from 157.56.149.61:3544 to 192.168.0.108:1489
    Monday, Nov 12,2012 23:42:44

    I use MAC address access restriction on the router, so another machine
    shouldn't be able to gain access to the LAN if it was not preauthorized via
    its MAC address. I'm wondering if this entry is just the result of the new
    firmware - that this was acutally only an attempted access, or if this was
    an actual intrusion into my network.

    The machine at .108 is a backup server that runs 24/7. There's really
    nothing on it that could be called sensitive, and all the backups are
    encrypted. My concern is that the NetGear firewall is pretty leaky if this
    is happening. Maybe time to change to something different (again) and more
    secure. Suggestions?

    Scotty, Nov 13, 2012