    to file and print share across the subnets (I assume each pc is on a
    different subnet)

    Thanks

    James, Feb 10, 2005

  2. James

    why? Guest

    You mean hard wired to hard wired or to wireless PCs or what?

    It's not that clever a router. One network (subnet) is the ISP (WAN)
    side the other network (different subnet) is your LAN side.

    All the PCs on the LAN side should be in the same subnet. If you set
    your PCs to use DHCP and the router sends out default settings via DHCP
    you don't have to worry about it.

    There are lots of tutorials on home networking, look at a few of the
    threads in 24hshd, on 9th Feb some links were posted.

    See post subject -
    Link 2 computers and transferring files, installing app on 1 computer
    from CD on the other?

    File/Print sharing can depend a lot on the OS running, firewall
    blocking, usernames and passwords, encryption setup correctly.

    Go through the basic connection setup / check connection steps outlined
    in the manual.

    Me

    why?, Feb 10, 2005

  3. James

    James Guest

    Thanks for that, very well explained - better than the CompTIA Network+ book
    thats for sure - I just needed to understand completly what is going on -

    Thanks -

    James, Feb 10, 2005