    fix for this. When I leave the computer running unattended for a long period
    of time, it drops the internet connection.

    Thanks.

    bab, Oct 24, 2004

  2. bab

    lugnut Guest

    Access your router with your browser

    Look for "Idle Timeout" on the basic settings page.

    Set that value to "0" to keep it connected full time.

    5 minutes is the default. If you want the router to
    disconnect the machine from the net to protect it after long
    periods of inactivity, you can increase this value to make
    it wait longer before disconnecting.

    lugnut, Oct 24, 2004

  3. bab

    bab Guest

    The idle timeout (in minutes) is default at 0.

    bab, Oct 24, 2004
  4. bab

    lugnut Guest

    You may need to go to the WAN Setup screen and check

    "Connect Automatically as Required"

    This should force the router to reconnect in the event
    another device such as the modem is dropping the connection.
    You may have a problem with other software or devices. If
    your modem has a separate software interface, it may have a
    setting that needs correcting. I had several problems as
    long as I tried to use the Bellsouth software before I
    uninstalled all of it and allowed Windows to handle the
    connection from the PC.

    lugnut, Oct 24, 2004
  5. bab

    bab Guest

    Okay, the "Connect Automatically as Required" is set on as default.

    I don't have other device connected to this or other s/w.

    bab, Oct 25, 2004
  6. bab

    lugnut Guest

    Sorry. Hate to say it but, I am out of answers. I have
    experienced this problem from time to time with my Netgear
    and those are the two things I used to fix the Netgear
    router. There may be a setting inside Windows that is the
    problem but, I just haven't crossed it yet. I am not an IT
    by trade although I do maintain a few machines. I am not
    all that experiencd with the roeuter since mine have pretty
    much worked as they should. You may want to post the
    question in one of the networking groups. Don't forget, the
    problem can by your ISP as I had with Bellsouth a few months
    back.

    Good luck

    lugnut, Oct 26, 2004