    them...

    Any Thoughts?

    Thank a lot

    Alan Jenkins, Feb 16, 2010

  2. Upgrading the firmware has never lost me the configured setup settings on
    my DG834Gv2's (but pressing and holding the reset button will do that).

    Anyway you can back up your settings, just in case you lose them now or in
    the future or in the event your router were to die and you needed to
    program the settings into a new one. See Maintenance/Backup Settings.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Feb 16, 2010

  3. Alan Jenkins

    Alan Jenkins Guest

    Will the saved settings re-load into the upgraded firmware without issue?

    Thanks

    Alan Jenkins, Feb 16, 2010
  4. I guess they could make changes that would make that not work, but so far
    no versions I have upgraded to have been incompatible with the settings of
    previous versions and that is true for the two versions you plan to move
    between.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Feb 16, 2010
  5. Alan Jenkins

    Mortimer Guest

    Also, my experience with Netgear firmware upgrades is that the settings do
    not need to be reloaded from the saved config file (though it's a very good
    idea to save them just in case!) - the firmware upgrade preserves the
    existing settings and does not revert to factory settings.

    But that's only my own experience...

    Mortimer, Feb 16, 2010
  6. Alan Jenkins brought next idea :
    I have never lost any settings doing the firmware updates. However just
    to make sure - You can save the settings to your PC and then restore
    them after the firmware upgrade.

    Harry Bloomfield, Feb 16, 2010
  7. Alan Jenkins

    Alan Jenkins Guest

    Thanks for the help and advice with this job. I did do it once before but
    it seems a long time ago. I have now done the job and 3.01.38 is now
    running.

    Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know where I might find a
    changelog of updates from 3.01.25 to 3.01.38? Was there much done in
    between the two firmwares?
    I can only find the changes in the most recent version documented on
    netgear's site.

    Thanks again for all the support.
    Alan

    Alan Jenkins, Feb 16, 2010
  8. Alan Jenkins formulated the question :
    Certainly with the two versions you are discussing, but even the
    setting from my V2 uploaded perfectly (and to my surprise) from a V2
    into a V3. I guess the settings are saved with a reference to what the
    setting is for, rather than just a simple memory dump save.

    Harry Bloomfield, Feb 16, 2010
  9. Don't guess, the backup is in plain text so just read it (and BTW I often
    find it simplest to edit it to clone services and firewall rules!).

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Feb 16, 2010
  10. Which reminds me to warn that the backup should be kept secure and perhaps
    encrypted because it's ALL there in plain text, including confidential data
    such as admin password and wireless encryption keys.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Feb 17, 2010
  11. Alan Jenkins

    WinTFTP Guest