Netgear DG834 + DG834G: new firmware released v1.05.00

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Sunil Sood, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. Sunil Sood

    Paul Guest

    Blimy Martin - took you a while to enter this thread didn't it? and as usual
    with "negative waves" man.

    I've upgraded without difficulty and my wireless clients seem ok at present
    :)

    The resets I experienced of late seem to have diasppeared too even before
    upgrading, which suggests that the faults lay with Pipex, my ISP - I have a
    1mb extreme connection.

    Paul

    This footnote confirms that this email message
    has been swept by Norton AntiVirus for the
    presence of computer viruses.

    This computer is protected
    by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector

    Paul, Jul 6, 2004

  2. Why bother when I can just make him jealous enough to buy his own?

    Simon Pleasants, Jul 6, 2004

  3. Sunil Sood

    Ben Pope Guest

    Feel free to fix it then:
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101238.asp

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Sunil Sood

    Stormsinger Guest

    You seem to know what you're doing Sunil, would you maind advising me on my readings?

    I've just got BB (512k) and I'd ideally like 1Mb

    My router is giving me a LA reading of 46.4 down and 23 up. That seems close to the
    45dB limit - I wonder if they'd let me go ahead and trry 1Mb? Do I need to give them
    any other info to persuade them to give it a try?

    TIA

    Stormsinger, Jul 7, 2004
  5. what does your phone number tell you on the online number checkers ?
    (use btyahoo.com and look for a 4 letter code in the URL of the
    results page, something like AGEA or RGEA or ideally GGEA).
    its over the current limit. Prepare for disappointment.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 8, 2004
  6. Sunil Sood

    Jim Guest

    Will Netgear swap out any boxes that are stuffed up doing an upgrade of the
    firmware?

    Does the recovery utility work? Has anyone ever had to use it?

    And finally, is there any way of going back to the firmware that you were
    using previously?

    Mine currently is running 1.03 I think

    Someone recently reported that they upgraded their firmware to v1.05.00 and
    the wireless connection stopped working totally. Has anyone else seen this
    result, as I need the wireless option more than anything else, so need to be
    sure this is not a result that everyone gets when upgrading to the latest
    firmware. Surely netgear wouldn't make such a BIG mistake in their
    firmware?

    Thanks
    James

    Jim, Jul 8, 2004
  7. Um, just slightly not.

    Netgear do have a reputation for dodgy firmware releases. However I
    have upgraded the firmware several times without incident and it's got
    better each time. I even managed to run for several months with v1.04
    a version which only last about a week before being replaced with
    v1.04.01

    I am already wondering what they'll add in the next firmware update.

    Simon Pleasants, Jul 8, 2004
  8. Sunil Sood

    Jim Guest

    Simon, will I have to set the router up from scratch after I upgrade the
    firmware? Or does it remember the setting you already had before it was
    upgraded. I ask because my brother set this one up, and if I lose
    everything, I would have to get him to set it all up again.

    comments?
    Thanks
    James

    Jim, Jul 8, 2004
  9. In theory it should remember all the settings without losing anything.
    It always has for me.

    Nevertheless, before I have applied each upgrade I've taken the
    following precautions:

    1. Download the new firmware (doh!)
    2. Download the recovery utility that Netgear provide should the
    upgrade fail.
    3. Print a hard copy of the instructions on how to use that recovery
    utility and have it to hand when doing the upgrade.
    4. Backup router settings. To do this log into the router's
    interface and on the menu on the left select "back up settings" which
    is under "Maintenance". On the screen it brings up you have the
    options to save the current settings or restore from a previous backup
    file. Full instructions on how it works are provided in the right
    hand frame.
    ***USE A WIRED ETHERNET CONNECTION*** [1]
    ***MAKE SURE THE COMPUTER IS NOT DOING ANYTHING ELSE*** [2]
    5. If you are using a wired connection simply choose "router upgrade"
    on the left menu which brings up the firmware upgrade screen. Click
    on the browse button and select the new firmware file. Sit with
    fingers tightly crossed and watch the little percentage marker climb
    slowly. At about 60% (roughly) the router will be reboot so for a
    moment it will come up "a cable is unplugged" on your network icon.
    Once it reaches 100% you should try logging into the router interface
    again.

    Obviously I cannot guarantee everything will go smoothly as for some
    people it doesn't - I'm just saying it has done for me each time and
    must have done for a lot of others because this is one of the most
    common routers around.

    Hope this helps.

    Simon

    [1] If not disable the wireless card and plug in a cable into your
    10/100 NIC.
    [2] If it is - stop it then!

    Simon Pleasants, Jul 9, 2004
  10. Sunil Sood

    Filthy Rich Guest

    Absolutely staggering, 20 other posts appeared before his so I reckon
    Martin's losing his grip. Soon he'll be saying Netgear aren't so bad
    after all......

    I had some problems with 1.4.01 but can't remember what they were.
    Upgraded to 1.4.04 and that has been fine apart from when Pipex (I'm
    also on 1Mb) went down a couple of wekends ago. Took a lot of
    resettting and restores to get my DG834G going again.....

    Willl upgrade to 1.5.00 this weekend.

    Filthy Rich
    Music House

    Filthy Rich, Jul 9, 2004
  11. Sunil Sood

    Martin² Guest

    Filthy Rich:
    That doesn't need comment from me !
    I haven't touched my Draytek since May 2003, he he ;-)
    All the regular Netgear sufferers will be pleased to hear that I am
    occasionally away on holidays,
    more coming up soon...
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jul 10, 2004
  12. OK, using Netstumbler I am able to investigate the wireless problem I had
    experienced with 1.05.00 as posted above.

    I had been using "Europe" and channel "13" in my settings in V1.03.xx and
    also in V1.04.01 without any problems. Observing the lack of wireless
    connectivity via Netstumbler I can now confirm that V1.05.00 does not
    transmit any wireless activities on channels 12 and 13 even though it
    continues to offer Channels 12 and 13 as possible options if "Europe" is
    selected!!! I have now managed to restore my wireless connections under
    V1.05.00 by dropping the channel settings back to 11.

    Hope that these findings are of use to someone else.

    Lawrence Wong, Jul 13, 2004
  13. Yes I think this is definitely useful information - but have you told
    Netgear? They probably need to know about this.

    Simon Pleasants, Jul 14, 2004
  14. Yes I have, but they are claiming that they have tested V1.05.00 on channels
    12 and 13 and therefore suspect that I may have a faulty unit! I am
    suspicious because channels 12 and 13 work on my unit if I load it up with
    V1.04.01 or earlier. You can draw your own conclusions from this, but it
    would be nice if other readers using V1.05.00 could report here if they can
    get their DG843G to operate successfully on channels 12 and 13.

    Lawrence Wong, Jul 14, 2004
  15. Sunil Sood

    Frank X Guest

    Works OK for me on both 12 and 13 using (g only and 128 bit WEP key)

    Frank X, Jul 14, 2004
  16. Thanks for this. I am only using 802.11b as I do not yet have a G client.

    Lawrence Wong, Jul 14, 2004
  17. I might have a look and test for you, however I've had a bit of a
    nightmare recently after switching over to WPA - I'm reluctant to
    start fiddling all over again.

    I'll give it a try at the weekend and let you know.

    Simon Pleasants, Jul 15, 2004
  18. Sunil Sood

    Paul Guest

    Just for information regarding the new DG834G v1.05 firmware - (I'm
    afraid I haven't used anything other than wireless channel 11, g & b
    mode)

    We were having a whole load of problems with the router (running
    v1.04.01) needing a daily 'kick'start (almost to the point where my
    recommendation of these units as a 'quality' product was becoming an
    embarassment!). It almost seemed that the unit got a bit stroppy if
    someone didn't use the wireless connection for a while or they
    disconnected at any point in the day (the wireless light would go out
    and all functions would stop working).

    We use it for wireless access and vpn pass-thru (at the host site so
    24 hour unattended operation is crucial)!

    However...upgrading to v1.05 (fingers crossed) appears to have
    resolved the issues we were seeing and the router has been up for
    around 90 hours now - and working fine.

    I wouldn't like to tempt fate by asking if NetGear has 'cracked' it
    with this one...but hope reigns supreme (and my head is hurting a
    little less now!)

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 16, 2004
  19. Sunil Sood

    Tiny Tim Guest

    Just for information regarding the new DG834G v1.05 firmware - (I'm
    I was also getting wireless vanishing with 1.04.01. That seemed to get fixed
    with the beta release 1.04.04. I am now running 1.05 and my current up time
    on LAN and WLAN is 236 hours - almost 10 days. But my WAN seems to drop out
    and then reconnect at odd times. Right now the WAN has only been up for 27
    hours. I have no idea if that is a problem with the router, BT or my ISP
    (PlusNet) but the connection always seems to be fine when I start up each
    morning so I'm not too worried.

    Tiny Tim, Jul 16, 2004
  20. Sunil Sood

    Sunil Sood Guest

    Sorry for the delay in replying..

    Have a look at what http://www.bt.com/broadband/ says for your line.

    If it says that faster speeds are not possible your order will be rejected
    immediately.

    However, you can ask your ISP to place a "manual order" for you which means
    that BT Wholesale will actually carry out a line test.

    Its also worth remembering that your router reading could be wrong - its
    what BT's equipment says that counts.

    Otherwise BT are looking at increasing the allowed dB limit for the 1MB
    service later this year sometime.

    Regards
    Sunil

    Sunil Sood, Aug 5, 2004