Netgear DG834 + DG834G: new firmware released v1.05.00

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Sunil Sood, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. Sunil Sood

    Sunil Sood Guest

    Released yesterday..

    ----
    New Features Overview, Version 1.05.00

    ADSL Statistics added.
    Added ability to upgrade firmware remotely.

    Modifications and Bug Fixes, Version 1.05.00

    Improved wireless stability.
    Rolled back ADSL microcode to fix syncronization issue on some loops.
    In NAT Disabled mode, modified default inbound rule to DROP.
    NetMeeting voice support fixed.
    -----

    Downloadable from http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=784

    Upgrade at always, at your own risk etc :)

    Regards
    Sunil

    Sunil Sood, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Just installed it OK. No need to reconfig router after install. Now adds
    line attenuation and noise margin values for up & down stream. However
    they have not fixed the logging of the admin properly. It logs the first
    login but then nothing. On 1.04 levels I did find that if you changed the
    idle time for the admin login it then logged the next access, I did pass
    this info to Netgear but any fix obviously did not make this version.

    Stuart

    Stuart Rogers, Jul 3, 2004

  3. Sunil Sood

    Tony Guest

    Is there much risk in doing these upgrades? I would really like to try the
    latest version, but don't want to do something wrong whilst upgrading it and
    stuff up the unit. My unit is currently running 1.03.00. Is it worth me
    upgrading it to the latest version?

    Thanks
    Tony

    Tony, Jul 4, 2004
  4. Sunil Sood

    deKay Guest

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 4 Jul
    Unless the new version plugs some security hole, or you're having issues with
    the current version, why bother? If it ain't broke, etc.

    deKay

    deKay, Jul 4, 2004
  5. In my book if it ain't broke don't fix it! Are you having any problems
    with your 1.03 level? If yes then follow the instructions to the letter
    for upgrading and see what happens.

    I was having a few problems, nothing major, the early level my box was
    shipped at, so I went to 1.04 and it fix nearly all except the logging. I
    tried 1.05 to see if logging was fixed and to get the ADSL stats which my
    old router used to give me, which help if you are having problems with
    the line. I've had no problems at all upgrading. Mine is NOT the wireless
    box btw.

    As always your mileage might vary!!

    Stuart

    Stuart Rogers, Jul 4, 2004
  6. Sunil Sood

    Peter R Cook Guest

    Rule 1 - If it ain't broke don't fix it.

    Are you having any problems that sound like issues in the release notes.
    If not you could just leave well alone.

    That said mine came with V1.03 I have now upgraded twice (once to 1.04.4
    & now to 1.05). In both cases without any problem at all.

    Before you do so however It probably makes sense to download the utility
    from Netgear's site to recover from a bad upgrade

    <http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=678>

    - sod's law says that if you have it on your local machine you will
    never need it, but if it's unreachable on the internet you will!!

    Regards

    Peter R Cook, Jul 4, 2004
  7. Sunil Sood

    Frank X Guest

    1.03.00 didn't support VPN properly. But if you don't use it I wouldn't
    bother upgrading. 1.04.01 was terrible (the whole thing froze up regularly).
    1.05.00 seems ok, but its only been a day sofar.

    Frank X, Jul 4, 2004
  8. Sunil Sood

    Martin² Guest

    Stuart Rogers:
    Good grief, you can't expect them to get it right on only the 12th (???)
    version,
    remember this is NETGEAR...
    (I think they hire the people that Microsoft fires for incompetence ;-)
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jul 4, 2004
  9. Does 1.03 offer WPA security in any form? WPA is a significant
    improvement over WEP so if you are security conscious then that might
    be worth considering. Also, being nosey and arguing with BT over
    whether or not I can get higher speed services, the attenuation
    figures are useful which are now included.

    All in all, I'd say look at the list of improvements and fixes made in
    1.04 and 1.05 on Netgear's site and judge how many of them you think
    will be useful to you.

    I've upgraded, no problems as yet, but it's only been a few hours. I
    do get a much more stable connection with my laptop now, I have
    noticed.

    Simon Pleasants, Jul 5, 2004
  10. Sunil Sood

    Frank X Guest

    I've got

    Line Attenuation 41 db 27 db
    Noise Margin 31 db 28 db

    I couldn't get ADSL until they did RADSL but when I did have it fited the
    engineer said my line was OK.

    Now my line checker says I can't get higher speeds, what is wrong? Is it
    worth trying?

    Incidently the voice quality of my line is occassionaly crap (before and
    after I had ADSL) I haven't had to to look at the figures when this happens.

    Frank X, Jul 5, 2004
  11. your 41 dB downstream with ADSL on the line is within BT's limits for
    1 and 2M services and your SNR margin is high, so it should be
    available and should work.

    Best bet is probably a regrade with the same ISP - they should be able
    to remotely test the line if your modem is connected and running.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 5, 2004
  12. Sunil Sood

    Frank X Guest

    Ta, I'll do that then. Ahgg, I'll have to talk to BTYahoo.

    Frank X, Jul 5, 2004
  13. Just upgraded to 1.05.00 very late last night and all appeared to working,
    until this morning when the wireless clients were booted up. No wireless
    connections even with all security features disabled on all sides. After
    about an hour wasted trying all possible combinations to get the wireless
    clients to work, I reverted to 1.04.01 and now every thing is back to
    "normal".

    Lawrence
    http://lcr.inventeer.com
    http://www.inventeer.com

    Lawrence Wong, Jul 5, 2004
  14. My (next door) neighbour tried to get 2mb ADSL but the line checker
    said he was too far away so he settled for 512kb. When I tried to get
    512kb BT said I was too far away but only because the dimwits thought
    my line was out in the sticks (I had moved but retained the line
    number). Afterwards, for a brief period, the line checker told me I
    was in range so I ordered and I got. After that it went back to
    saying I couldn't get it, but as I already had it I didn't much care
    what it said.

    Now it says I can get it but I can't get 1mb or 2mb. It says the same
    for my friend up the road but he ordered 1mb anyway and got it.
    Bottom line, Frank, is the line checker doesn't have a f**king clue.

    I'd be interested in a 1mb service but now I'm on contract to an ISP
    which only offers 512kb to domestic users, all higher speeds being
    business only. However in 4 months that contract expires.

    From memory (I am now at work) I get
    LA 51db / 35db and NM 25db / 25db.

    Any thoughts Phil?
    Voice quality? You can use these things for voice? :)

    Simon Pleasants, Jul 5, 2004
  15. Sunil Sood

    Sunil Sood Guest

    BT Wholesale's current limits for 1 and 2 MB are a downstream LA of 45dB -
    as you have 51 you won't qualify.

    However, its worth applying anyway - as their is always a small chance your
    router is overestimating it (but by quite a bit)

    Otherwise after the latest 512K trial is over, BT have said they will look
    again at the limits for the higher speed services - in particular the 1MB
    service.

    Regards
    Sunil

    Sunil Sood, Jul 5, 2004
  16. too high, man, too high. 51 dB might fall into a revised 1M limit *IF*
    BT revise it, but its too much for the current rules.
    apparently a penis can also be used for peeing (c) Monty Python.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 5, 2004
  17. Sunil Sood

    Frank X Guest

    I did as you suggested, the guy from BT told me I was too far from the
    exchange, so I started the "my line looks OK attenuation limits" chat at
    which point he said they'd swap me over a week Wednesday and if it was OK I
    could keep it and if it wasn't I wouldn't have to pay anything.

    The only downside was another three months with BT.

    Frank X, Jul 5, 2004
  18. Accurate figures (I am at home now):

    LA 50dB / 31.5dB
    NM 27dB / 25dB

    So I'm 1dB closer to a 1mb connection (luckily I put the champagne on
    ice earlier).
    Well yesterday it reckoned the noise margin downstream was 25dB so it
    can change its mind. I wonder if they even bothered to test my friend
    up the road? He's actually about 0.25km further out of town than I
    am!
    I should have just ordered 1mb and seen what happened. Oh well. My
    neighbour said he would check his LA (assuming his router shows it).
    My friend up the road does not have anything he can test the line with
    although I plan to drag him round, rub his nose in my wireless set up
    and then send him off down the shops to buy his own.

    Simon Pleasants, Jul 5, 2004
  19. if they have ADSL walk your box round to theirs and determine the
    attenuation for them.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 6, 2004
  20. result !