    their "heavy user" list).

    Is this true? If so, how long before brakes are again applied to
    throttle you?

    thisuser, Feb 28, 2005

  2. thisuser

    theyak Guest

    If it worked at all the slowdowns begin right after your trial ends.
    Whatever you do, don't upgrade to a 5 or 8 out. One would think since
    you are giving them more money it would mean better service, but sadly,
    the opposite is true. I have a 3 out with netflix and a 3 out with
    blockbuster. I'm hoping between them I'll steer clear of most slowdown
    issues.

    While I wait for Amazon, that is.

    theyak, Mar 1, 2005

  3. thisuser

    Bondo Guest

    Can someone give an example of how they throttle? If I return a movie
    today, they normally receive it back tomorrow and send a replacement
    tomorrow. I receive the replacement the following day. (Two days from when
    I put the original in the mail.) If I am became throttled, how long would
    they wait?

    Bondo, Mar 1, 2005
  4. thisuser

    Rob Guest

    If Netflix really do this, I suggest you find another place to rent DVDs.
    It's almost criminal !

    Rob, Mar 1, 2005
  5. I live in Gaithersburg, MD where Netflix has a distribution center.
    If I drive to the PO where they get their DVDs back I could
    theoretically get a two day turnaround (6/week or 36/mo.) Of course
    you need to factor in that I have to drive 10 miles to make the
    deposit by 8PM in order for Netflix to get it the next morning.

    The throttle comes in when they acknowledge receipt of the DVD and
    then promise to ship the next day later instead of the same day as per
    their terms of use. The promise is not clear cut as the following
    quote from their FAQ gives them the wiggle room to thottle heavy users
    back:

    "Often, on the same day that we receive a DVD from you, we will ship
    the next available DVD from your Queue. In certain instances, your
    next available DVD will not ship until the next business day following
    our receipt of your returned movie. This can occur, for example, when
    your top choices are not available to you from your closest
    distribution center or the number of shipments to be processed by the
    distribution center on that day has been exceeded. When this happens,
    your DVD will ship on the next business day and may come from an
    alternate distribution center.

    In determining priority for shipping and inventory allocation, we give
    priority to those members who receive the fewest DVDs through our
    service. As a result, those members who receive the most movies may
    experience next-day shipping and receive movies lower in their Queue
    more often than our other members. By prioritizing in this way, we
    help assure a balanced experience for all our members. Those that rent
    a lot of movies get a great value and those with lighter viewing
    habits are able to count on our service to meet their limited needs".

    The Professor, Mar 1, 2005
  6. thisuser

    Pat Guest

    NetPrix should get hit with a class action suit. Its a matter of time. I'd
    love to see their Prez cuffed and being helped into a cruiser with his coat
    over his head, in disgrace.

    In my Opinion, I think they lie and break their terms. I'd have respect in
    dealing with them if they came out and said what the real rules are, that
    they are now using and not divulging. They could even charge a little more
    for higher priority service. But nooooooooooooo, they continue to screw me
    by slipping another day, another, one more day, etc, etc. Bottom line is
    that they ARE NOT SHIPPING ON THE DAY THEY SAY THEY ARE SHIPPING, in many
    cases. If they were, you'd get the friggin thing a lot sooner. They are also
    very clever in treating users in different ways. That is why a number of
    genuine non shills are happy with them. I was once in that category. Now I'm
    in the other camp, like you.

    Someone has to nail them on this. Even if its a disgruntled employee who has
    the goods on them. I'd love to see the computer code that filters how users
    get their titles shipped to them.

    In summary, I can live with a crippled delivery plan, but not under the
    conditions of misrepresenting what they tell their customers.

    My 2 cents, FWIW!

    Pat, Mar 1, 2005
  7. thisuser

    Bondo Guest

    They do not "promise" to ship the same day "as per their terms of use." The
    terms which you quoted state that they will "often" ship the same day. All
    this talk about "class action suits" and the like seems like an
    overreaction.

    Bondo, Mar 1, 2005
  8. thisuser

    Bondo Guest

    Do they ship 6 days per week or 5? I thought it was 5.

    Bondo, Mar 1, 2005
  9. thisuser

    Bondo Guest

    "often" = "sometimes", "occasionally", "it has been known to happen", "no
    guarantees"

    Bondo, Mar 1, 2005
  10. Just the ones who aren't spoiled infants.

    Derek Janssen (coupla us out there)

    Derek Janssen, Mar 2, 2005
  11. Five in our area, Mon-Fri.
    Any title received on Friday or Saturday gets the weekend off.

    (But do they mean "Often" = "A person who has lost his parents", or
    "Often" = "FREQUENTLY"??...) ;)

    Derek Janssen (they said "often" only ONCE!)

    Derek Janssen, Mar 2, 2005
  12. Ah, so they said "Often" = "Frequently" only once!

    Derek Janssen (c'mon, there's *gotta* be some Kevin Kline fans out there)

    Derek Janssen, Mar 2, 2005
  13. thisuser

    Tarkus Guest

    They almost always ship out to me on Friday when they receive returned
    DVDs that day. In fact, I try to get my DVDs in the mail by Thursday, so
    I can get new ones by Saturday -- Monday at the latest.

    Tarkus, Mar 2, 2005
  14. thisuser

    Pat Guest

    Check out the big brain on Derek!

    Pat, Mar 2, 2005
  15. thisuser

    Pat Guest

    Is there any way to check the actual date of shipment via the USPS, from the
    envelope? There is a bar code and maybe that can be cross checked with the
    USPS. I would like to compare it to the date they claim to have shipped it.
    Otherwise, they have an open invitation to delay a couple extra days. IOW,
    claim they shipped it on Tuesday but it arrives on Saturday or the following
    Monday. But if you could discover they shipped it on Thursday or Friday,
    you'd have a good case.

    Pat, Mar 2, 2005
  16. Check out the small brain on Pat.

    Reginald Dwight, Mar 2, 2005
  17. thisuser

    Justin Guest

    Where?

    Justin, Mar 2, 2005
  18. thisuser

    Pat Guest

    Reginald "Netflix butt boy" Dwight ROTFL!

    Pat, Mar 2, 2005
  19. Ahahhahah...you ARE the funniest! Ahahhaa...

    Take your meds dickless.

    Reginald Dwight, Mar 3, 2005
  20. thisuser

    MINDTRICK Guest

    Patwrote
    You cant reall check the date. In your netflix account on their site
    you can see the number of DVD's You have rented. And though Iv
    definatly felt the Throttle slowing, the number of DVD's Ive rente
    remains constant

    Over at NetflixBuddy.com you can create a free account on their site
    enter your Netflix RSS ID in, and track your ship times

    BUDDY STATS
    http://www.netflixbuddy.com/index.cfm?NetFlixBuddy=c.BuddyStat

    Its kind of interesting. For me there are some oddities in the retur
    times. For instance

    MINDTRICK 14 days The Work of Director Spike Jonze

    This movie I returned the very next day because it wasnt what I thoug
    and sucked, but it took a total of 14 days to complete the process.

    Im stumped

    MINDTRICK, Apr 9, 2005