    ....Guess it's a question of treating the company the way you want to be
    treated. :)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Nov 30, 2005

  2. One-Shot Scot

    Nonymous Guest

    Jeez, I should have slept in more...

    I mean "doesn't really care ABOUT them".

    And "couldn't care less", not "could care less"

    Nonymous, Nov 30, 2005

  3. One-Shot Scot

    Bob Guest

    I would not count BB out. It does have a vast network of brick and
    mortar shops.

    BB could have been the king of mail order DVDs if it had not screwed
    up so badly. Its web presentation sucks big time. And it does not have
    distribution worked out.

    But give it time and it might just take over this business. I suspect
    NF knows this and is trying to squeeze the last drops of "shareholder
    value" out before it collapses into obscurity - like Beta Max did.

    I would like to see a service that gives me a large collection of the
    movies I want on one huge optical disc, like the new electro-optic
    discs that will be coming out soon.

    I pay a fixed amount for each movie and order the disc custom built.
    Assuming the production costs are minimal, all inventory is kept on
    hard disks at one central server linked by satellite to regional
    distribution centers which create the huge discs and mail them to
    local customers. The disc has to be returned just like with current
    DVDs and can be reused, cutting costs.

    --

    "One must realize that the world is a network of real and virtual
    combat zones where the stakes are high, struggle is the primary

    Bob, Nov 30, 2005
  4. One-Shot Scot

    Bob Guest

    Not true. NF makes money on every customer.

    Bob, Nov 30, 2005
  5. One-Shot Scot

    Eric Janssen Guest

    Well, hopefully not TOO much time--
    As we speak, which of the two has *officially* filed Chapter 11, again? :)

    Derek Janssen

    Eric Janssen, Nov 30, 2005
  6. One-Shot Scot

    Nonymous Guest

    Yes, by throttling the high-volume renters. No, by not throttling the
    high-volume renters.

    Nonymous, Dec 1, 2005
  7. One-Shot Scot

    Bob Guest

    You are pontificating.

    If the disc is available, NF does not lose money shipping it. I do
    agree that NF does not make as much money. But NF does make money.
    Otherwise it would set a limit to the number of discs per month.

    I have had runs where I got 9 discs per week with the occasional
    interruption for holidays and glitches. But then those were old TV
    series that no one else wanted probably because anyone who did had
    already seen them.

    If you are wondering how I can watch three discs in one day, it's
    actually quite easy. First it helps to be retired. Second, if the
    discs arrive around Noon, and they have the typical 90 minutes content
    (two 45 min. episodes per disc) then the total screen time is 4.5
    hours. That means you are done watching in time to run them to the
    post office for same day pickup. You do not have to rip discs to watch
    three in one sitting.

    Because holidays screw things up, and there are around 10 federal
    holidays per year, only 42 weeks give 9 per week, and it's actually
    less than that because of glitches in the system. But taking 9 per
    week for 42 weeks and 6 per week for 10 weeks gives an average per
    month of 36. That works out to 50 cents per disc. Mailing is cheap
    because of bulk rates and 1 disc out of literally thousands being sent
    each working day does not cost much in terms of distribution from
    warehouses. I am going to estimate that the total cost, including the
    fees paid for the disc itself, are no more than 25 cents. Therefore NF
    makes 25 cents. That's a profit, not a loss.

    In reality I only get about 7-8 discs per good week because of
    glitches (late mail is one of those glitches) so the average is more
    like 30 discs per month. That makes the disc worth 60 cents so NF
    makes 35 cents. That's a profit, not a loss.

    Next time you want to pontificate, I recommend you do the math first.

    Bob, Dec 1, 2005