  1. One-Shot Scot

    Alpha Guest

    You are Dumbya perfection.

    Alpha, Nov 3, 2005

  2. One-Shot Scot

    Bob Guest

    I've been waiting a month for the first disc of Battlestar Galactica
    and it's still a VLW. Blockbuster doesn't even have it at their brick
    and mortar stores.
    I suspect someone is asleep at the switch and does not get enough
    discs. I wrote Netflix twice about the delay with BG but I just as
    well piss in the wind.

    one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore
    -- George Bernard Shaw

    Bob, Nov 3, 2005

  3. One-Shot Scot

    bbcrock Guest

    why do you think that just because your dvd player can't play a dvd
    that a better quality dvd player won't play scratched dvds? That's
    true at my house- the cheapo dvd balks at 1 in 10 dvds, but the nice
    dvd player plays everything.

    Don

    bbcrock, Nov 3, 2005
  4. One-Shot Scot

    bbcrock Guest

    sigh.

    1. Netflix has better selection and is much smaller than Blockbuster.
    You act like that's not true when it is true. On what do you judge
    Netflix being a "big" corporation?
    2. I've received 2 cracked discs and I've never received a wrong disc
    in 3 years. I have not noticed what you describe to be anything more
    than rare.
    3. I've seen the Long Wait and Very Long Wait titles shrink until I
    have none on my list currently. I don't watch kids movies like Land of
    the Dead or Star Wars, so that may have something to do with it. But
    I've got plenty of Netflix Top 100 films added.

    If I could buy the 20 or so films I watch a month on dvd I probably
    would, but I don't have that kind of money. An acquaintance of mine
    does and his house is a junk pile of DVDs and CDs he needs to sell.

    The throttling is a known problem.

    Don

    bbcrock, Nov 3, 2005
  5. One-Shot Scot

    Black Locust Guest

    Over 3 million subscribers/customers and growing, regional werehouses
    all over the nation, TV spots shown on every major network and such
    serious competition to Blockbuster that they started an in-store
    subscription service(which they lose money on), dropped late fees
    entirely(which they lose even MORE money on) and started their own
    online service to go head to head with Netflix, which they're now
    pourning millions of dollars into. You think Blockbuster would be doing
    all of this if Netflix was just some rinky dink operation running out of
    some guys garage? Get real. In 1998 this might have been the case, but
    not in late 2005..
    Simply do a google search on "netflix+cracked discs" and watch the
    results pile up.
    Star Wars and Land of the Dead were just 2 examples of popular new
    films. There are others as well.
    Don't get me wrong, I rent plenty of DVDs as well. I am not trying to
    put down anyone that rents from Netflix. I'm just sick of all the
    Netflix ass kissing on the internet.

    Black Locust, Nov 3, 2005
  6. In fact, apart from OOP titles, recent movies are the only ones that
    even GET VLW's anymore if they do, and then usually as just a fill-in spot:

    Ie., when the computer registers that they *should* have copies at the
    release date, but the licensing takes another day or two to actually get
    copies in stock. Which they do.

    Derek Janssen (and then again, try finding Star Wars 3 at a walk-in
    Blockbuster on opening day, either)

    Derek Janssen, Nov 4, 2005
  7. One-Shot Scot

    Bob Guest

    How long does it take for the VLW DVDs to become available?

    I put Battlestar Galactica Season One in my queue before it was
    released - in the "Save" part of the Queue. Then when it became
    available on Sept 20 it eventually moved to the main part of the
    Queue. I moved it to the top, but the first disc of the series said
    VLW.

    [Netflix won't ship the second disc of a series until after it has
    shipped the first disc.]

    Now here it is Nov 4 and it's still listed as VLW. I wrote Netflix
    twice and got no response. I called customer support yesterday and the
    representative said he would make sure those responsible for this
    matter would be informed.

    It's been 8 weeks and still there the DVD is listed as VLW. That's
    bullshit.

    Bob, Nov 4, 2005
  8. One-Shot Scot

    Bob Guest

    I would not give you a bowl of luke-warm monkey vomit for the whole BB
    thing. BB sucks big time. And they are arrogant assholes too. Must be
    the fact that they are going bankrupt.

    The web software acts like it was written by a bunch of buck-toothed
    Banghis operating out of a cave in the Himalayas. For example, if your
    credit card expired yet you have a newer one you cannot update the
    expire date online. You have to call on the telephone and wait around
    1 hour for an "agent" to do the update. Also you cannot check for
    availability unless you are subscribed. Fortunately you can subscribe
    (if your credit card has the right date) and unsubscribe within 24
    hours and not have anything appear on your credit card.

    Dumb and dumber. I got so pissed off at BB that I called and told them
    to remove my name from their database - I never want to have anything
    to do with them ever again. Pricks.
    You left out the part about the partnership with WalMart. Anytime you
    hitch your lillte red wagon to the number one retailer you must be
    taken seriously.
    What percentage is that?
    Netflix's performance varies widely from region to region.

    Bob, Nov 4, 2005
  9. One-Shot Scot

    Bob Guest

    I have been waiting 8 weeks for BSG. That's absurd.

    Bob, Nov 4, 2005
  10. One-Shot Scot

    bbcrock Guest

    Manually reorder the second and other discs in a series to your number
    1 spot. Netflix shipped me the Dick Cavett Rock Icons series out of
    order.

    bbcrock, Nov 4, 2005
  11. One-Shot Scot

    Bob Guest

    I just did it. Let's see what happens.

    Bob, Nov 4, 2005

  12. _Dick Cavett Rock Icons_ was released on August 9, 2005 and I had it in my
    Netflix queue before it was released. Volume 1 stayed at the top of my queue
    until I finally got it last week. I don't know if this is considered a
    _series_ disk, but Volumes 2 and 3 were listed as available about a month
    ago.

    One-Shot Scot, Nov 5, 2005
  13. One-Shot Scot

    Gary Guest

    Do you have any idea how much high powered law firms have to spend for their
    offices, not to mention going to Harvard Law School, et al. I see no problem
    about attorneys making all that money. ;-)

    Gary, Nov 7, 2005
  14. One-Shot Scot

    kristiofca Guest

    I just want to know what Netflix thinks it is doing...I clicked on the
    link to the "claim form" but repeatedly, in mozilla, netscape, internet
    explorer and yahoo browsers, I get a page asking me to join netflix,
    with no claim form in sight. Anyone else have this problem? BTW, yes,
    my cookies are enabled in all of my browsers. This is the link that I
    was given in my email: www.netflixsettlement.com.

    kristiofca, Nov 29, 2005
  15. One-Shot Scot

    Bob Guest

    I believe the settlement included free subscriptions so if you had
    filled out a subscription maybe it would have asked you for settlement
    information.

    --

    "One must realize that the world is a network of real and virtual
    combat zones where the stakes are high, struggle is the primary

    Bob, Nov 29, 2005
  16. One-Shot Scot

    Nonymous Guest

    I just tried the link. I then clicked the "click here" "to register for the
    settlement" which that page provided. It then asked me to sign in with my
    netflix ID/Passwd. Then I was taken to a claim form where I could enter in
    my name, address and phone number.

    Nonymous, Nov 29, 2005
  17. One-Shot Scot

    wunnuy Guest

    to me, it's just crazy that Netflix, when confronted by all the new
    competition that threatens to take business away or even put them out
    of business, they then make their service worse. I can never understand
    it. I was a long time customer and then they started that throttling
    crap on me. What could they possibly be thinking?

    wunnuy, Nov 30, 2005
  18. One-Shot Scot

    Bob Guest

    It's easy to understand if you look at it from the pov of management.

    They see that things have peaked and that tomorrow will bring probems.
    So they rig things now to maximize shareholder value because they want
    to squeeze the most they can out of the situation before it craters.
    Once they have their money they are off to snorkle in the Camuns or
    yodel in the Alps, leaving the mess for someone else to fix.

    We are entering the Gotterdammerung phase of Netflix.

    Bob, Nov 30, 2005
  19. Well, now that they've slain Blockbuster, we've already been through the
    Siegfried phase... :)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Nov 30, 2005
  20. One-Shot Scot

    Nonymous Guest

    For customers that are renting so much and so often that they're being
    throttled, Netflix doesn't really care them since they'd be losing money if
    they didn't throttle. They could care less if these customers drop their
    subscription. It's only the other customers (which vastly outnumber the
    latter) that they're interested in: those that rent casually enough that
    they dont need throttled or those whose rental frequency is right on the
    edge such that are being throttled but don't really noticed nor care.

    Nonymous, Nov 30, 2005