NETFLIX: Notice of Class Action Settlement.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by One-Shot Scot, Nov 2, 2005.

  1. Netflix Claim Form Process:

    A class action lawsuit entitled Chavez v. Netflix, Inc. was filed in San
    Francisco Superior Court (case number CGC-04-434884) on September 23, 2004.
    The lawsuit alleges that Netflix failed to provide "unlimited" DVD rentals
    and "one day delivery" as promised in its marketing materials. Netflix has
    denied any wrongdoing or liability. The parties have reached a settlement
    that they believe is in the best interests of the company and its
    subscribers.

    Netflix will provide eligible subscribers with the benefit described below,
    if the settlement is approved by the Court.

    Current Netflix Members: If you enrolled in a paid membership before January
    15, 2005 and were a member on October 19, 2005, you are eligible to receive
    a free one-month upgrade in service level. For example, if you are on the 3
    DVDs at-a-time program, you will be upgraded to the 4 DVDs at-a-time program
    for one month. There will be no price increase during the upgraded month.
    (If you cancel your membership after October 19, 2005 and before you receive
    the upgrade, you will have to rejoin to get the upgrade.)

    Former Netflix Members: If you enrolled in a paid membership before January
    15, 2005 but were not a member on October 19, 2005, you are eligible to
    receive a free one-month Netflix membership on your choice of the 1, 2 or 3
    DVDs at-a-time unlimited program. (If you rejoin after October 19, 2005 but
    before you receive the free one-month membership, you will receive a credit
    for the free month when it becomes available.)

    http://www.netflix.com/Settlement

    One-Shot Scot, Nov 2, 2005

  2. One-Shot Scot

    Zeppo Guest

    Just plain stupid. Made some lawyers very rich and put a hurting on a
    company that delivers great service at a more than reasonable price.

    Jon

    Zeppo, Nov 2, 2005

  3. http://www.netflix.com/Settlement

    From Section VI. Attorney's fees and costs:

    $2,528,000 attorney fees

    $2,000 to the plaintiff.

    One-Shot Scot, Nov 2, 2005
  4. One-Shot Scot

    k Guest

    I tried them for 2 months got nothing but scratched DVDs

    k, Nov 2, 2005
  5. One-Shot Scot

    Bob Guest

    Netflix was guilty of failing to honor the contract it used to entice
    people to subscribe.

    Since the judgement against them, service has improved substantially.

    Netflix is a better service now that it was told what would happen if
    it tried to play games with its subscribers.

    one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore
    -- George Bernard Shaw

    Bob, Nov 2, 2005

  6. Ass kissa!

    Incremental Jones, Nov 2, 2005

  7. Yet they are still doing it. I'm still seeing delays in shippings and
    receivings plus they have started shipping DVDs that are lower in my queue
    than higher ranked ones are indicated as available Now.

    Incremental Jones, Nov 2, 2005
  8. "And I ordered a Romance movie, and some Victorian people DIDN'T show up
    at my house!...I'm suing for Truth-in-advertising!"
    Like the similarly dopey MGM fanboy-harrassment, it's just "a coupon to
    shut 'em up"--
    At least they've got the 4-disk plan back again, for those who want the
    free upgrade, but, ironically, you'll probably get better 1-day service
    *without* it.

    Derek Janssen (who still has one of those pre-'01 4-disk Netflix
    holders, and took the upgrade just to fill it)

    Derek Janssen, Nov 2, 2005
  9. One-Shot Scot

    Invid Fan Guest

    I assume the last is a case of them not updating the listing until that
    days dvd's have shipped. If they have one copy and two people want it,
    it'll be listed as "available now" for both until late afternoon. That
    just happened to me, when a documentary was skipped over in my queue
    and the next day I saw it listed as unavailable.

    Invid Fan, Nov 2, 2005
  10. One-Shot Scot

    Black Locust Guest

    Nice dream world you live in. The reports of throttling didn't even
    start until 2004 or so. 1998 that. *flips the bird in your general
    direction*

    Black Locust, Nov 3, 2005
  11. ....Ladies and gentlemen, the Man From 1998! ;)

    Derek Janssen (now, please, folks, don't confuse him with 21st-cty. talk
    of "regional distribution centers", he's not equipped for our modern age!)

    Derek Janssen, Nov 3, 2005
  12. Yeah, it's one where I have 199 movies on my queue, and guess, as of
    present writing, how many Very Long Wait titles are on it.

    --Well, that's not sporting, I'll give you a hint, so you can work out
    the relative probabilities:
    It's a number that starts with "Z" and ends with "ilch-aroonie". :)

    (Okay, maybe IF I got all the way up to two hundred, one might show up,
    gotta play the laws of averages, but as for now...)

    Derek Janssen (uh, I've got a Short Wait on "Land of the Dead", does
    that count?)

    Derek Janssen, Nov 3, 2005
  13. One-Shot Scot

    Black Locust Guest

    And how many of those are new releases? Try putting Revenge of the Sith
    in your queue and see how "quickly" you get it. And you're still not
    addressing the rampant problems with throttling, cracked discs, repeated
    price changes, wrong discs being mailed.

    Stop making Netflix out to be this "godsend of video rentals." Beyond
    the huge selection of titles, there's nothing really special about it
    IMO. Like Blockbuster, they're just a big corporation out to take
    advantage of the consumer. I'll give Hastings credit though; he works
    "the little underdog" gimmick to perfection. "Please come help our
    little company take down the evil giant that is Blockbuster." Blah,
    blah.. I wonder how many mom & pop shops Netflix has put under since
    it's inception... Infact Netflix took away the only real advantage mom &
    pop shops had against big corporate giants like Blockbuster and
    Hollywood. That being a good selection of rare and hard to find
    titles(foreign, arthouse indie stuff).
    Pff. I bought Land of the Dead at Best Buy the day it was released and
    here you are still waiting for it over 2 weeks later? I could have
    gotten it at Blockbuster faster than that.

    Black Locust, Nov 3, 2005
  14. One-Shot Scot

    Black Locust Guest

    Yeah, I know... "Netflix is the greatest! Netflix is perfect! Netflix
    will destroy all of their competition!" *yawn*

    Next please.

    Black Locust, Nov 3, 2005
  15. One-Shot Scot

    Alpha Guest

    Completely, utterly, totally, and stupidly false.

    Alpha, Nov 3, 2005
  16. One-Shot Scot

    Invid Fan Guest

    Depends on what you're watching, naturally. At one point I had 10
    things in my queue and 8 were Long or Very Long Wait. Down to two Long
    Waits, as one more finally just shipped. I think I'm just renting stuff
    where they only have one copy in the system.

    Invid Fan, Nov 3, 2005
  17. One-Shot Scot

    Bob Guest

    I use Brasso on them. If they still do not play, I crack them. No need
    making the next guy have to go thru the same thing. Anyway, they send
    out a replacement right away - they do not wait for the broken one to
    come back.

    Bob, Nov 3, 2005
  18. One-Shot Scot

    Bob Guest

    Not necessarily. Service depends on where you live.

    Bob, Nov 3, 2005
  19. One-Shot Scot

    Bob Guest

    I got as high as 12 with Blockbuster and quit.

    How much does it cost for a pressed video disc? 2 cents?

    Bob, Nov 3, 2005
  20. Could be--My tastes are pretty eclectic, but if there's a VLW anymore
    ("if"), it's usually resolved within a couple weeks...

    One of the advantages of localizing Regional centers (like, *WAY BACK IN
    2001*) as opposed to One Big HQ is that if your area regional doesn't
    stock it, someone else's does, and they might take an extra few days to
    "import" it...
    This way, no one center is understocked or forced to skimp on stocking
    obscure titles, and all their eggs aren't in one basket.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Nov 3, 2005