Netflix and TiVo partnership

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Nonymous, Sep 5, 2004.

  1. Nonymous

    Nonymous Guest

    Somebody just posted this in rec.arts.tv...
    -----
    NEWSWEEK: Netflix, TiVo to Unveil Partnership
    Sunday September 5, 10:57 am ET
    Subscribers Can Download Netflix DVDs Over the Internet Onto TiVo Boxes

    NEW YORK, Sept. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- Later this month, Newsweek has learned,
    Netflix and TiVo plan to unveil a simple but significant partnership that
    could shake up the media world. Subscribers who belong to both services
    will be able to download their Netflix DVDs over the Internet directly onto
    the TiVo boxes in their homes, instead of receiving them in the mail.
    a.. (Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20040905/NYSU004 )
    San Francisco Correspondent Brad Stone reports in the September 13 issue of
    Newsweek (on newsstands Monday, September 6) that even though spokespeople
    at the companies refused to comment on what one called rumor, one insider,
    who was close to the negotiations, says the straightforward partnership is
    all but a done deal, pending only the approval of the TiVo board this week:
    "You don't need a lot of creativity to figure out the details," the insider
    said.

    Netflix lets customers rent DVDs through the U.S. Mail, but is fighting
    cheaper copycat services from Blockbuster and Wal-Mart. TiVo lets people
    digitally record their favorite TV programs and zoom through the ads. A
    TiVo-Netflix partnership would create headaches for media giants, reports
    Stone. Cable customers could prefer the larger Netflix selection and
    download movies to their TiVo boxes using cable's own pipes. Unlike the
    phone companies, which are regulated as "common carriers" and forbidden
    from discriminating against customers or content, cable firms don't have to
    accommodate their rival's traffic on their networks. But if cable closes
    the door to the Netflix downloads, customers could migrate to the phone
    industry's broadband offering, DSL.

    Read article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5915470/site/newsweek /

    Nonymous, Sep 5, 2004

  2. Nonymous

    Biz Guest

    Not sure I want to wait a few days to download 5 Gb or more data to my Tivo
    just to watch a movie I could run out and rent in minutes or get in the same
    amount of time in my mailbox.

    Biz, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Nonymous

    Joe Kaffe Guest

    For those readers wanting to calculate download times:
    http://www.numion.com/Calculators/Time.html

    And what about the "extra" features on a DVD that (sometimes) add more
    enjoyment to a movie?

    The price of a download will have to be dirt cheap for this venture to have
    even a slim chance of success in the marketplace.

    Joe Kaffe, Sep 6, 2004