Net Neutrality -- the wolves are circling

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by NotMe, Apr 14, 2010.

  1. NotMe

    NotMe Guest

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-kerry/net-neutrality-needs-your_b_536890.html

    It would be at best sophomoric and at worst patronizing to stop by here and
    "tell you" you how important the Internet is to our economy and political
    culture now.
    But when you're talking about almost 200 billion emails sent each day and
    more than $3 trillion in e-commerce a year ago, it's more than clear we've
    just scratched the surface of what the Internet can do, both as a platform
    for commerce and discourse.

    And so it's far from surprising that the powerful interests have lined up on
    different sides of a huge fight going on in Washington; and it will probably
    be very familiar to you, after years of battling over Net Neutrality.

    On one side are the telephone and cable companies who believe they should be
    in control because they own the wires that deliver the Internet to your
    house. On the other side is you, the consumer, and President Obama's FCC,
    with a broad set of interests -- making sure consumers are protected, users
    and content are not discriminated against, and broadband service is
    universally affordable and available.

    President Obama has been a strong champion for an open, fast Internet. He
    was a leader on Net Neutrality as a Senator, and he has pushed hard to
    create a National Broadband Plan to build the fast broadband infrastructure
    we need. And his FCC chairman, Julius Genachowski, has been fighting hard to
    make President Obama's vision a reality, which is no surprise to those of us
    who knew Julius before he headed the FCC.

    But not surprisingly, the industry is fighting back, with heavy artillery on
    their side.

    Today, there's a vital hearing in the Senate Commerce Committee, and I need
    your help. You could make an enormous difference if you take just a couple
    of minutes right now, call your Senators and urge them to support the
    President's push for Net Neutrality and a National Broadband plan. You can
    just call the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask for your Senator.

    It's helpful to bust wide open the convenient myth many in Washington buy
    into -- the idea that it's only the industry and those with financial skin
    in the game who really care about these issues.

    The travesty in the court system last week underscored the importance of you
    weighing in, and doing it in a hurry. Just last week, the industry won a
    round in court, with a DC Circuit of the Federal Appeals Court ruling that
    could block the FCC from protecting Net Neutrality, working for consumers,
    or making broadband available to all Americans.

    The details get a little technical, but it basically boils down to this:
    back in the Bush Administration, the FCC classified the Internet as an
    "information service" rather than a "communications service." This limits
    what the FCC can do, which is, of course, just the way the big telecom
    companies want it.

    But the FCC could reclassify the service and preserve its traditional role.
    The telecom companies are giving it everything they've got to keep this from
    happening, and if you don't speak up, they could win.

    A win for them would mean that the FCC couldn't protect Net Neutrality, so
    the telecoms could throttle traffic as they wish -- it would be at their
    discretion. The FCC couldn't help disabled people access the Internet, give
    public officials priority access to the network in times of emergency, or
    implement a national broadband plan to improve the deplorable situation
    where the United States -- the country that invented the Internet -- lags
    far behind in our broadband infrastructure. In short, it would take away a
    key check on the power of phone and cable corporations to do whatever they
    want with our Internet.

    The telecom companies try to say that only Congress can pass a law to make
    this better. But having suffered through a year of record filibusters and
    procedural hurdles to grind the process to a halt, do you really think it's
    a good idea for Congress to try and do this, when the FCC can have the
    authority right now?

    Look, eventually we may need to build a new legal framework for broadband
    service, but the Internet is moving too fast, the economy needs the
    innovation of the Internet too badly, to wait. Especially because we don't
    have to. The FCC can act right now.

    But they need the political support from the Senate, and the Senate needs to
    know that you care about this. So call right now and let them know.
    Especially if your Senator serves on the Commerce Committee (here's the
    membership of the committee).

    Bottom line is that this is the way politics work. In the end, you pull the
    levers, but only if you use them. The industry will fight for control, and
    they should fight -- if you were advising them, you'd give them that advice
    yourself.

    But we need to show them that we're going to fight even harder to make sure
    the Internet stays in the hands of the American people, that we get to set
    the rules to benefit all of us, not just a few huge corporations.

    NotMe, Apr 14, 2010

  2. "DEATH TO SPAMMERS!!!!1!!"

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 14, 2010

  3. NotMe

    NotMe Guest

    | NotMe wrote:
    |
    | > But when you're talking about almost 200 billion emails sent each day
    |
    | "DEATH TO SPAMMERS!!!!1!!"

    There are many issue in net neutrality. WRT what you posted, the question
    comes who gets to decide what's spam or what legitimate email?

    We lost a $5K project and a client when Charter anti-spam bot decided a
    series of emails were spam and bit bucketed the lot. There were back up
    systems in place but by the time those kicked in the damage was done.

    It did not seem to be important that we had disabled the spam bot. Charter
    re-enabled the 'service' to protect us. I might mention that Charter had
    their system set up such that compliants, questions and emails sent to their
    CS level 1 and level 2 on the issue were also bit bucketed as spam.

    NotMe, Apr 14, 2010
  4. NotMe

    §nühw0£f Guest

    §nühw0£f, Apr 14, 2010
  5. your impossibly correct sir!!!!!!!!!

    �b�b�b�, Apr 15, 2010
  6. NotMe

    §nühw¤£f Guest

    DOnt try and get on my good side, pervy.

    §nühw¤£f, Apr 16, 2010