    it slower than a native Win32 program?

    This is not posted to offend, I honestly don't
    understand. Please help.

    Leonard, Jan 14, 2004

  2. In 0a5001c3da7a$770b9960$,
    Longhorn will replace Win32.

    From http://www.longhornblogs.com/jlowy, "But to me, the single most
    important facet of Longhorn is its promise to replace the aging (decaying?)
    and overly-complex Win32 API. "

    From http://www.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?doc_cd=118261, "WinFX will
    re-integrate the "managed code" concept introduced with the .NET Framework
    with the underlying OS - the entire Longhorn WinFX developer API will be
    based on managed code. Moreover, WinFX will replace Win32, which will be
    relegated to "legacy" platform status (just as Win32 relegated DOS/Win16)."

    Cindy Winegarden, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Leonard

    Hermit Dave Guest

    yes that would be the goal....
    unfortunately you cannot change millions of lines worth of code in a day...
    so right now.. .net api's are kinda wrappers.
    in the next release you would potentially have a lot of executive services
    exposing .net api.
    yes you will see all programs run under clr or as unmanaged code... in
    future...
    the reason for adopting .net is simple... it has a very simple programming
    model.
    it provides interop between languages to a level that was never present
    before...
    try using win32s from c++ and the same api from VB.... the efford required
    is different and sometimes its a real pain...
    with .net any language can use any api in the same manner...

    as for compilation of .net app...
    you have the option of what sort of compilation you would like for the app
    you install.
    you can chose install time compilation which would create a native copy (but
    doesnt do any optimisations.. would result in a bigger memory map)
    or you have a JIT compiled version (the JIT would compile the app or parts
    of it that are needed.. reduces the memory map and JIT compilation can
    perform optimisations on how to make it faster)

    Hermit Dave, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Leonard

    David Guest

    ..NET is an improved programming model. Languages in .NET are pretty much
    equal. For VB programmers (like myself) this opens up more possibilities
    for what our programs can do and also provides a true object orientated
    development environment.
    The disconnected approach to database development (ADO.NET) is a big
    improvement on VB6 database access. .NET user structured error handling -
    VB6 error handling can be messy!
    Also for the VB developers that upgrade there skills, it is much easier for
    them to switch onto another .NET language such as C#.

    I've been programming in .NET for about a year now. I certainly wouldn't go
    back.

    David, Jan 14, 2004
  5. I've heard from Microsoft insiders that the Office team refuses to
    rewrite Office in .NET. In fact, I also heard they still use Borland
    compilers.

    General Protection Fault, Jan 14, 2004
  6. I know this because my gay lover works in Redmond.

    General Protection Fault, Jan 16, 2004
  7. Leonard

    Hermit Dave Guest

    you are such an attention freak you know... lol

    Hermit Dave, Jan 16, 2004
  8. Ha ha. Nice job.

    Check the headers -- that wasn't me.

    General Protection Fault, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Leonard

    Hermit Dave Guest

    true... guess someone was taking the mick...
    :)

    Hermit Dave, Jan 20, 2004