    ideas or where I could go to get help? Is there a general group that may
    address
    descriptioms. Without the use of descriptions I can find nothing.

    Bob H, Oct 5, 2005

  2. Bob H

    Mitch Guest

    Actually, you can still see the group NAMES, and those are excellent
    clues.
    Just think of some terms important to your subject and search for parts
    of those words. You are not searching as you do in Web sites -- with
    several whole words.
    If you were searching for a group about digital photography, for
    example, you would search using terms like:
    photo
    cam
    digi
    and not:
    digital photography
    digital camera
    digicam
    photographic

    because those either couldn't be in the group name or they would reduce
    the likelihood of a match in a group name.

    Mitch, Oct 5, 2005

  3. Bob H

    Silvabod Guest

    SNIP - stops and says "it is
    I understood this to mean that you cannot see any ng's because the download
    of over 100K ngs failes to complete, so no ng's visible ...

    Try to locate microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
    I'm sure I saw the identical prob posted there recently - memory's fading,
    but I think the answer was to clean up OE, compact, free up some space, then
    d/l - but, worth re-posting there to get "professional" help as that ng is
    specific to OE issues.
    If you can't get there via OE, go via the XP "Help and Support" (from the
    "Start" menu (which has the full list of MS-specific ng's). Another
    alternative is to set up/use a different news server (news.tesco.net as
    example) - not 100K, but in excess of 30K ng's listed
    Silvabod

    Silvabod, Oct 5, 2005
  4. Bob H

    Mike Easter Guest

    <with some amending>
    Good. Trimmed and contextualized. Makes sense. The attribution could
    be improved.
    I think that advice is good, both in terms of the other ng and the
    cleanup strategy. OE is gagging on the newsgroup list.

    Here's a discussion by Tom Koch, which is an excellent resource for
    everything OE. http://www.insideoe.com/tips/slownews.htm - Improve
    Performance in Newsgroups - when a news server has a very large number
    of newsgroups (roughly 25,000 or more), OE takes a big performance hit -

    Improve Performance in Newsgroups
    Introduction
    The Quick and Dirty Way for Light Use
    The Safer Way for Complex Use

    Mike Easter, Oct 5, 2005
  5. Bob H

    Bob H Guest

    The problem is only in newsgroup descriptions. I know how to compact and
    delete.

    Bob H, Oct 6, 2005
  6. You should try using a "real" newsreader. I use XanaNews.
    http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d9xananews.htm
    -max
    --
    Playing Nice on Usenet:
    My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/

    What's in a Name?, Oct 6, 2005
  7. Bob H

    Mike Easter Guest

    The location, structure, content, and insight [or lack thereof] of your
    post doesn't indicate that you have thoroughly digested the information
    cited at Tom Koch's site.

    Topposters are notorious for not reading thoroughly what has been
    previously posted and advised when they 'blindly' push it down under
    their own post.

    Mike Easter, Oct 6, 2005
  8. Bob H

    Mike Easter Guest

    Rather; indicates that you have *not*. You haven't commented on the
    size of the folders.dbx, you haven't commented on which of the 3 Koch
    strategies you employed other than compacting, or whether or not you
    have re-created the account without dl/ing the NGL by using the 'no'
    function as described in 'the safer way for complex use' or other
    strategies. The specific reference link in question is the equivalent
    of a 3 page 1100 word document.

    Mike Easter, Oct 6, 2005