NeroLinux vs K3b

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 16, 2005

  2. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Chris Hope Guest

    All you need to read is the conclusion:

    Nero may have its fans in the Windows world, but NeroLinux is not going
    to win many in the Linux domain. NeroLinux is just not worth the time
    to learn how to use or even download while K3b is still around. K3b
    offers much more for your money; well, in this case, for no money. The
    point is that K3b is completely free, has tons more features than
    NeroLinux, a much cleaner and nicer GUI, and is more productive than
    NeroLinux. Though this article may sound like a bashing of NeroLinux,
    the bashing was not done by the author, the bashing was done simply by
    a champion named K3b. It is surprising how this awesomely CD burning
    suite has not been ported to run on Windows; for it would also give the
    Windows version of Linux a run for its money; or at least a tie. Hands
    down, K3b is just a more powerful CD burning application than
    NeroLinux. A Linux player who is currently interested in using
    NeroLinux should consider K3b instead, and for those wise ones which
    already house K3b, good call, stay where you are.

    Chris Hope, Mar 16, 2005

  3. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    David Preece Guest

    Well, perhaps you should. The conclusion was that k3b kicks arse and
    they can't understand why Ahead would want to try to compete with it.
    And fail.
    Ah, I see. Better things to do. Say Hi to her.

    Dave

    David Preece, Mar 16, 2005

  4. No its the most used CD software in the World, bundled with most CD/DVD
    Writers and has far more features than k3b..

    The Reviewer was a Lunix addict. or nuttier or just Insane..

    To get some things that are good and well supported, you do have to pay for
    it..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 16, 2005
  5. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Chris Hope Guest

    So what are all these features that Nero has that k3b doesn't? This is
    an honest question as I have not used either product so can only go on
    what the reviewer said in the article.
    How would you know, since you didn't read the article?
    You might be right that to get support you have to pay for it, but
    there's plenty of really good free software out there. And yes, there's
    plenty of good free software for Windows too.

    Chris Hope, Mar 16, 2005

  6. Bookmark Bit Setting, DL Support and Lightscibe support..

    Just my Opinion on Lunix addicts a they seem to be always trying to defend
    there crap..

    They feel so insecure and also always trying to rope others into there
    madness..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 16, 2005
  7. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Chris Hope Guest

    Ok, so you've listed some that Nero has that apparantly K3b doesn't have
    (not that I've heard of any of those). But the article lists some that
    K3b has that Nero doesn't.

    Oh and is DL Support double/dual layer support? If so then K3b has
    supported it since August 2004.
    I'm a Linux user and I'm not always trying to defend my "crap" as you
    put it. I couldn't care less if you use Windows or Linux or OSX or
    FreeBSD. It actually sounds to me like you're the insecure one. In any
    case the article was comparing a *Linux* version of Nero with K3b so
    I'm not sure how that means the reviewer was trying to defend his
    "crap" when both pieces of software are Linux versions.

    Chris Hope, Mar 16, 2005
  8. Michael Jackson? ewww.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 16, 2005
  9. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Bit of an understatement, that.

    Yesterday, I came across http://osswin.sourceforge.net/
    which is a huge listing; and that is just the OSS stuff, not including
    freeware as such.

    Also http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/apps/en/bestlist.html

    cheers

    -=rjh=-, Mar 16, 2005
  10. Xandros(3) has DVD writing doesn't it?
    I have both Xandros and a DVD-r drive, but can't say I've tried yet.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 16, 2005
  11. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    colinco Guest

    Is that just like Windows being free with PCs?

    Nero is making money off OEM versions.
    [/QUOTE]
    Just like Windows being bundled, Nero has made itself so cheap a lot of
    better programs have fallen away.

    colinco, Mar 16, 2005
  12. Have a look at this site http://macupdate.com/

    Thousands of Mac programs, but I couldn't find a single Windows one.
    Maybe this Windows you speak off doesn't actually exist.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Mar 17, 2005
  13. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    BILL Guest

    Funny that No shops here sell and Mac stuff at all..

    BILL, Mar 17, 2005
  14. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Chris Hope Guest

  15. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    BILL Guest

  16. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    AD. Guest

    You might want to rephrase that. Unless you've changed your mind
    and switched sides of course.

    AD., Mar 17, 2005
  17. you mean nz.comp?
    you're posting from a clear.net IP addy, so you are somewhere in NZ.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 17, 2005
  18. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    ChrisOD Guest

    Yes Chris, he meant where he lived. In his house.

    ChrisOD, Mar 17, 2005
  19. Not according to the reviewer.
    And yet they got a job writing the review, and you didn't. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 18, 2005
  20. Just like Windows being bundled, Nero has made itself so cheap a lot of
    better programs have fallen away.[/QUOTE]

    Obviously not "better" according to the Free Market. The only reason
    Nero could make itself so cheap without going out of business was
    because it was selling so well to begin with.

    And yes, that is another example of the Microsoft Effect...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 18, 2005