    versions. So how can I most reliably get back to the previous versions
    I had in my OEM package, without also losing Nero Burning ROM 6.6.0.16
    (actually Nero Express in my case) ?

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 13, 2005

  2. The problem looks more fundamental. I managed to find an older version
    Nero ShowTime CE, version 2.0.0.4. But that barely plays my DVDs, just
    the same as reported above.

    Am I missing something very obvious here please? I never have been
    comfortable with Nero's strange mix of free and payable software, and
    suspect I'm trying some sort of mix 'n match that's verboten.

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 13, 2005

  3. Terry Pinnell

    Impmon Guest

    Keep only what works, and use different program for DVD viewing. I
    usually go with PowerDVD since it usually works with anything I've
    thrown at including odd standard DVD and VCD.

    Impmon, Oct 13, 2005
  4. Thanks. Well, I could live without Nero Show Time, as I too have Power
    DVD (and that's my default for viewing DVDs) although it pains me to
    lose a program that was working fine a day or so ago.

    I also hate unsolved puzzles <g>.

    Anyone else have any ideas please? I'm assuming that this release of
    Show Time is working OK for others. It looks like I've broken
    something somewhere, affecting playing of *any* version of Show Time
    ;-(

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 14, 2005
  5. Any Nero user able to help please? Here's a little more detail:

    I posted a similar query earlier, but I'll try aging here with more
    explicit details.

    I used the updates at
    http://www.nero.com/nero6/eng/nero-up.php
    to update my OEM package (6.6.0.13 etc, came with my drive in June) to
    6.6.6.016 etc. These parts installed OK: Nero-6.6.0.16.exe,
    NMP-1.4.0.35.exe

    But after installing NVE-3.1.0.16.exe ShowTime now seems broken.

    DVDs that I recorded myself which played OK before are now terrible.
    They play a fraction of a second (with sound), then there is about 5
    seconds frozen, then another fraction, and so on.

    Also, on commercial DVDs I am now seeing a message that "Dolby Digital
    2-channel decoding is not available". Yet I'm pretty sure I could get
    sound before. And my other DVD players, such as PowerDVD and WMP9,
    play the audio OK.

    So, I hope the experts here can help answer these please:
    1. Why are my previously 'good' DVDs not playing?
    2. How can I get a sound track on commercial DVDs?

    BTW, I've emailed Nero Tech Support, but from experience I'm not
    hopeful of getting any reply. Do others get any response?

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 14, 2005

  6. This is a bit late, Terry, but I've only just started looking
    through the newsgroups to see how others have done with Nero.

    Basically I wouldn't put any hope in them at all. I registered
    Nero 6 Ultra for the video capabilities, and then found that both
    ShowTime AND the video DVD writing routines locked my PC solid
    when used.

    Three months of exchanges with Nero tech support (there seems to
    be about a two week turnround on replies) and they've finally
    pointed me at their list of minimum hardware requirements - a
    list that sure as hell wasn't linked from anywhere in the
    registration process!

    In addition, their tech support told me at one point in the
    exchange that they'd reproduced my problem and that it would be
    fixed in the next release - only to tell me that the message had
    been "a mistake" when I'd waited for the next release and found
    the problem was unchanged.

    They're now blaming the specs of my PC for the problems. Well,
    OK, I can accept that a twin CPU machine based on 500 MHz PIIIs
    is outside their specs for video (once I found the list on their
    WWW site, and it isn't that easy), but I sure as hell don't
    accept that *reproducibly* locking a PC solid (I can't even get
    the Win2K task manager up) when it doesn't meet the minimum
    specification is evidence of well-written software.

    I wouldn't touch Nero with a barge pole - but if there's anyone
    who would like a cheap Nero 6 Ultra registration key, feel free
    to e-mail me an offer for mine!

    Brian.

    Brian Meadows, Dec 27, 2005
  7. Thanks Brian.

    My experience of Nero's poor support has been similar. In fact I've
    not received *any* reply to several of my emails, so you did well!

    Having abandoned Nero, what alternative are you using now?

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 2, 2006
  8. On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 17:18:36 +0000, Terry Pinnell

    Sorry for the delayed reply. At the moment, video work is on
    hold, while I ditch Windows and move everything over to Mandriva,
    something I've been planning to do for a long time. I don't know
    what's available for Linux as yet, but I'll look at that option
    with my other Windows box as backup if I need to stick with
    Windows.

    Brian.

    Brian Meadows, Jan 10, 2006