Nero Hanging While Burning DVD - HELP PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Friar Tuck, Apr 25, 2005.

  1. Friar Tuck

    Friar Tuck Guest

    Hi folks, I'm trying to burn files to a DVD using Nero 6.3.1.6 on Windows
    2000 SP4 and its all going wrong! The disk got a mere 4% in and is now doing
    nothing - no activity on the drive and nothing happening with Nero (though
    it is still responding).

    I've used Nero with my DVD writer on numerous occasions without a problem,
    however I had this particular issue happen once before and it ended up
    destroying the DVD writer, hence my concern now. When it happened before,
    nothing I could do could get the drive to respond or open, and when I tried
    the old 'pin in the hole' trick, it opened ok but must have bust something
    inside as it never worked again ;(

    So, any thoughts would be massively appreciated as it'll save me some money!
    I've seen posts, etc online suggesting a compatibility problem with IMAPI,
    but I don't have that listed in services to disable or do anything else with
    so I'm totally stumped.

    Thanks in advance.

    Friar Tuck, Apr 25, 2005

  2. Friar Tuck

    °Mike° Guest

    It's possible that you have ANOTHER fried drive. That's the
    first thing to check.

    In <426d62ff$0$381$>,
    Friar Tuck took 20 lines to utter:

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Apr 25, 2005

  3. Friar Tuck

    Friar Tuck Guest

    Thanks Mike. I've one other DVD drive which looks to be working fine. 3.5"
    drive is fine too as are the HDDs. The problem one doesn't open when I try
    via the button. Its not looking good!

    Friar Tuck, Apr 25, 2005
  4. Friar Tuck

    Aquanaut Guest

    Not knowing your machines config (having the source and the burn drive on
    the same ide channel is not a good idea) burn your info to the c (whatever)
    drive as an image using the option in nero (image recorder) then burn to
    dvd fom there.
    You may be exceeding the capabilities of your machine (create image and
    burn), lack of memory/dedicated hd space etc.
    As usual check the seating of the cable to the dvd drive and or replace with
    a better quality one.
    Only as a last resort should you consider updating the units firmware,as you
    are as likely to totaly fubar it rather than fix,it did work,it should work
    again.
    There again the drive could be shot

    Aquanaut, Apr 25, 2005
  5. Friar Tuck

    °Mike° Guest

    I would switch to another make and/or supplier, if you have
    been using the same one.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Apr 25, 2005