Nero DVD burning problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tiny Tim, Dec 22, 2004.

  1. Tiny Tim

    Tiny Tim Guest

    I built a Windows MCE PC a couple of weeks ago and today I tried burning my
    first ever Video DVD using Nero. I assembled 12 MPEG2 files totalling about
    4 GB and set up the DVD menu to access each of them, using the Nero
    software, and then started the burn process to a DVD-R blank.

    The burn seemed to begin OK and I saw a preview of the first file being
    processed at high speed by Nero. I also saw the progress indicator,
    estimating 18 minutes to go for the burn. After about 1 minute Nero just
    closed and returned me to the StartSmart screen. I left the thing as it was
    and returned 25 minutes later to eject the DVD. The disc is garbage.

    I tried burning the same files to DVD from within MCE and the burn worked
    fine, although I was surprised to end up with what appeared to be a plain
    data disc rather than a Video DVD, and there was no menu navigation or
    anything. But at least it proved that the burner is working. I am using the
    latest official NEC 3500 firmware.

    So I repeated the exercise on a new disc with Nero and once again the thing
    just crashed out. There was no error message of any kind and I can't find an
    error log anywhere.

    The Nero version was a brand new download from the Nero site yesterday. The
    original source files were from a capture of sVHS tapes via my Hauppauge
    PVR-150-MCE tuner card. The files all play back fine on the computer. Does
    anyone have any ideas what might be wrong and how to fix this?

    Thanks,
    Tim.

    Tiny Tim, Dec 22, 2004

  2. Tiny Tim

    Barry OGrady Guest

    I suggest you use DVD-R/Ws while testing.

    -Barry
    ========
    "I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for
    their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held responsible;
    in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him."
    [A. Einstein (Letter to Edgar Meyer, Jan. 2, 1915)]

    Barry OGrady, Dec 23, 2004

  3. Tiny Tim

    Tiny Tim Guest

    Does anyone have any ideas what might be
    Good tip :) I just don't have any at the moment :-(

    Tiny Tim, Dec 23, 2004
  4. Tiny Tim

    Tiny Tim Guest

    While waiting for new media to arrive (ordered a week ago but not delivered
    yet - Bloody Xmas/New Year!) I decided to find alternative software for
    burning video DVDs. Sonic MyDVD Deluxe works a treat. No idea what was wrong
    with Nero but now I don't care ;-) Nero still rocks for data burning though.

    Tiny Tim, Jan 3, 2005