Neighbour has insecured WiFi

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by RolYat, Apr 12, 2005.

  1. RolYat

    RolYat Guest

    One of my neighbours has recently added a Belkin wireless router to his
    broadband setup, because I can now see such in my list of available
    wireless networks.

    My laptop has tried to connect to this, but never gets assigned an IP
    address ....

    I've no interest in 'hacking' my neighbour, in fact, I intend to tell
    him his network is insecure when I next see him but ...

    a) if it's insecure, how come I don't get an IP address assigned?

    b) even if I could connect, there's no way i'd be able to see his
    files/folders etc unless I was in the same workgroup, or assigned share
    rights, is there?

    c) in brief (as i've no interest in carrying out such) how could I gain
    access to his PC even if his network allowed me on?

    I ask, because my neighbour is an arrogant sort of guy who rarely
    considers himself in the wrong, so I would like to have some answers to
    back up my reason(s) for telling him he is running an insecure network.

    TIA

    RolYat, Apr 12, 2005

  2. Maybe he's turned off the DHCP server on the router and has assigned static
    IPs to the PCs on his network. This is a crude way of increasing security
    (very slightly) because you won't be able to use his network unless you know
    which subnet the PCs are in so you can statically set your PC to an address
    in the same subnet.
    Yes, you don't need to be in the same workgroup to connect to another PC's
    resources, either using the DOS "net use \\pc\share" command or the "Map
    Drive" facility of Windows Explorer - providing you know the name of the PC.
    However if you are not in the same workgroup the PC won't show up in "My
    Network Places".
    Suggest that he:

    - sets WPA (or at least 128-bit WEP) encryption
    - disables broadcast of SSID (also stops the subnet range from being
    broadcast)
    - sets a non-trivial admin password (ie not "admin" or "password"!) on the
    browser interface

    Martin Underwood, Apr 12, 2005

  3. RolYat

    Conor Turton Guest

    a) Because it IS secure and he's used MAC address filtering.
    b) You can see anything on there that's not password protected.
    c) DO NOT DO THIS. It is illegal under the Computer Misuse Act.

    Sounds like you're as arrogant as he is...

    Conor Turton, Apr 12, 2005
  4. RolYat

    RolYat Guest

    [...]
    Maybe, but I think it's unlikely, knowing him as I do.

    He'll have bought a Belkin because "it's the best one you can get" and
    will work the thing straight out of the box as much as he can, allowing
    XP to simply 'find' the gateway.

    I think he's fiddling with it though because it keeps going on and off!

    Thanks for the rest of your comments.

    RolYat, Apr 12, 2005
  5. RolYat

    Terry Guest

    He could have DHCP switched off. This control automatic issuing of IP
    addresses.
    DHCP OFF maybe?

    Well I wouldn't suggest he is wrong!
    How 'open' or 'closed' he wants his network to be is his business.
    He could be using further security inside the connection in order to allow
    access to the network.

    Terry, Apr 12, 2005
  6. RolYat

    RolYat Guest

    [...]
    I really ought to point out that he most definitely doesn't have this
    kind of knowledge, and, if that is the occurrence, it will be completely
    by accident!

    Yes, it's his business how he conducts himself across the airways, but I
    wanted to be the good Samaritan, and let him know, having a good case to
    argue for securing his network when I get the answers I anticipate
    getting.

    I'm not being a 'network cop', just looking to do the guy a favour.

    RolYat, Apr 12, 2005
  7. RolYat

    Conor Turton Guest

    Neither do you.
    And you have the nerve to call him arrogant? What you actually mean is
    that you want yet another opportunity to point score and gloat at him.

    Met people like you alot. Not found one I wouldn't shoot if it was
    legal.

    Conor Turton, Apr 13, 2005
  8. RolYat

    GPC Guest

    <uk.comp.home-networking , RolYat , [email protected]
    hotmail.co.uk>
    <>
    Not always true for the type of user you describe .

    Theres a fair chance he knew of the possible wifi security risks and
    took the time to google it - mostly because he sounds like the type of
    user who would object strongly to somebody whacking it his bum and would
    be able to brag and laugh at others about being wifi secure .

    GPC, Apr 13, 2005
  9. RolYat

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    Yes , so he hasn't turned off SSID broadcast which is a good thing.
    So it *is* secure then/
    it *is* secure if you can't connect
    Unless you start "hacking" that or he hasn't set passwords.
    Why would I tell you?
    What makes you think he is?

    He could have it running WPA with a lengthy key , no DHCP server running ,
    and connections restricted to specific MAC addresses.
    Just because you can see the SSID it doesn't make it insecure. In fact he is
    being courteous by leaving it viewable as it helps people avoid overlapping
    channels.

    Hiding the SSID wouldn't add much security as a wireless packet sniffer
    could still find the SSID in a matter of seconds.

    Sounds to me like you are an arrogant sort of a guy who rarely considers
    himself to be in the wrong

    --
    Alex

    Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
    Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

    www.drzoidberg.co.uk
    www.sffh.co.uk
    www.ebayfaq.co.uk

    Dr Zoidberg, Apr 13, 2005
  10. RolYat

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    How do you know he set it up?
    A friend of mine has a wireless router (belkin as it happens , nice and
    cheap) which is as secure as it can be made but he hasn't got a clue about
    setting it up , cause I did it for him
    No you aren't , you wanted to wander round and score points by telling him
    he was in the wrong.

    Dr Zoidberg, Apr 13, 2005
  11. RolYat

    Sam Guest

    People may set a MAC filter, which will only allow a network card with a
    specific MAC address to connect to the wireless network, or it may not
    run a DHCP server which means that your neighbour may assign ip address
    manually. You could try 192.169.0.* to see if you can access its network

    Sam

    Sam, Apr 13, 2005
  12. RolYat

    RolYat Guest

    Did I say it was ... ?

    RolYat, Apr 13, 2005
  13. RolYat

    RolYat Guest

    I don't know, but according to Windows XP, it isn't ... look sunshine,
    i'm a novice, I know jack shit, I didn't post to this group looking for
    a fight. I posted asking how I might address my 'know-it-all' neighbour
    and possibly do him a favour in telling him he was running a potentially
    insecure network.
    I can't connect, because I'm relying on nothing but Windows to do so.

    There may well be something I'm not doing that allows me in very nicely
    thank you. Someone with greater knowledge might find it all to tempting
    to utilise his 'shared' ADSL connection for something.
    You don't have to .... I only wanted (asked for) brief details, not a
    detailed agenda. I've far more interesting things to do with my time
    than 'hack' my neighbours network I can assure you. I was everso
    slightly intrigued, no more, no less. if you don't want to tell me, i'll
    get over ... see, I already am.
    eh, duh! Windows is reporting it to me. I don't know for sure till I
    have a look now, do I ... ? Knowing him as I do, he's running the gear
    OOTB, and if that means the default for security is off, that'll be him
    true and to form. FFS mate, I've lived next door to this guy for the
    best part of 20 years, I think I know him well enough now...
    I know my neighbour, you don't. I now that that suggestion is as far
    from all possibility as a far thing can be.
    Oh do **** off ... I was *trying* to be 'neighbourly' to this guy, but
    as he doesn't like being told he might/is/could be in the wrong, I just
    wanted some good reasoning to take with me if I found there *was* an
    issue to be concerned with.

    I know enough about networking to get me by, but I've not experienced
    this sort of thing before now, so was simply looking for some help. You
    don't have to fucking shoot me!

    RolYat, Apr 13, 2005
  14. RolYat

    RolYat Guest

    [...]
    Fucking hell pal ... you had a bad day at work, or are you normally this
    bad tempered? Give me a break, I was looking for some help to *avoid*
    confrontation not generate it.

    You really are acting like an arse.

    RolYat, Apr 13, 2005
  15. Hi Rolyat

    Having looked at this thread it looks like messr Zoidbug and Turton are just
    baiting you so I would not rise to their bait. They appear to be hiding
    behind the anonymity of the Internet to say things that they would not dare
    to say in a face to face discussion.

    I get the impression that you asked a genuine question in good faith and so
    I would just let your neighbour know that his network sometime appears on
    you PC and the drop it. If he is silly enough not to protect it then it may
    come back to bite him later - but that's not your problem.

    Happy surfing, Fred

    fredbloggstwo, Apr 13, 2005
  16. RolYat

    este mismo Guest

    Hi!
    This is not funny.

    f.

    este mismo, Apr 14, 2005
  17. RolYat

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    Are you sure about that?
    I'm reasonably tracable should anyone care to google extensively
    I got the impression he wanted to wander round his neighbours and enjoy
    telling him he is in the wrong , when in all likelihood he isn't

    Dr Zoidberg, Apr 14, 2005
  18. RolYat

    BORG Guest

    get a program called Net Stumbler, its free and will tell you what you
    want to know.

    http://www.netstumbler.com/

    --
    <--ROT13 it
    Spam Trap in Header

    Freedom isn't FREE
    GHPOTHUF #69

    http://borg.no-ip.com

    BORG, Apr 14, 2005
  19. RolYat

    BORG Guest

    Jeez who made you God ?

    --
    <--ROT13 it
    Spam Trap in Header

    Freedom isn't FREE
    GHPOTHUF #69

    http://borg.no-ip.com

    BORG, Apr 14, 2005
  20. RolYat

    GPC Guest

    <uk.comp.home-networking , BORG , >
    <>
    Didnt you know - conor is a celestial being :)

    GPC, Apr 14, 2005