    Is there a way to buy a USB 2 card for the PCI slot that has these headers
    as opposed to the jacks?

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, May 29, 2004

  2. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    I'm guessing that you have an ECS board... I have on too,
    along with one of their readers, and it's definitely 2.0

    2.0 defined not by their claims, along with the spin doctoring
    words like fast usb and high speed usb, but rather by the
    results.

    A thought... if your board is really new, one of the bios
    questions is "enable usb 2.0 support" (Y/N), so you might wanna
    check that.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, May 29, 2004

  3. Larry R Harrison Jr

    spodosaurus Guest

    Which motherboard? I've worked with several motherboards that have two
    headers for adding extra rear USB 2.0 ports in a PCI slot space and one
    header for front USB ports. The front header is almost always USB 1.1.
    Perhaps getting an internal reader that connects to an internal jack,
    rather than an internal header, would be the easier and cheaper option.
    I've done some searching for you:

    This reader looks to come with cables to connect it to a header OR a jack:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-162-502&depa=0

    And you could buy this card:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-162-502&depa=0

    After all that searching for the right card reader, having not found a
    USB 2.0 card with headers as well as jacks, it looks like I found one in
    the above card! I'm not certain those are actually headers, and I'm not
    certain if they are headers whether or not they are USB 2.0 rather than
    1.1 headers. The jacks are usb 2.0.
    A few PCI USB 2.0 cards will have external USB 2.0 jacks and one
    internal USB 2.0 header (though most have an internal USB jack rather
    than a header). They are very difficult to find. It took me a while to
    find the one I listed above. I'm not certain those are actually headers,

    spodosaurus, May 29, 2004
  4. the board is an ABIT KD7 (doesn't appear to be RAID)

    Larry R Harrison Jr, May 30, 2004
  5. Larry R Harrison Jr

    spodosaurus Guest

    I just downloaded and had a look in your manual. Those headers are USB
    2.0. Why do you think the headers are only USB 1.1? Could the problem be
    with the card reader?

    spodosaurus, May 30, 2004