    the install. I am prompted to start smartdrive so that the copying
    phase will run better. I have tried to run w/o smartdrive, and the
    copying stopd after about a minute. How do I start smartdrive? thanx

    todd, Nov 30, 2003

  2. todd

    Michael-NC Guest

    Copy smart drive to the floppy and execute it.

    Michael-NC, Nov 30, 2003

  3. todd

    MrToad Guest

    Try copying the i386 folder to your hard drive, then executing the
    winnt.exe from there.
    Smart drive is for the CDROM, an install from the HDD will speed things
    up without the need for the smartdrive program.

    Or do as Micheal-NC suggests.

    MrToad, Nov 30, 2003
  4. todd

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Smartdrive is not for CDROMs, it is for all disks.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 1, 2003
  5. todd

    MrToad Guest

    True, but it's mostly touted as a CDROM "speedup" program :eek:]
    I've had great luck doing a hard drive installs the way I described without
    smartdrive, [much faster than a CDROM with smartdrive].

    MrToad, Dec 1, 2003
  6. todd

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Where do you see it touted as a CDROM speedup program??? SmartDrive has
    far more benefits for hard drives than CDs. Take a 9x machine that you
    want to remove the windows directory and reinstall. Try doing
    deltree c:\windows without smart drive running. Wait 45 minutes to an
    hour. Reinstall windows, do it again with smartdrive loaded, notice the
    entire operation takes like a minute and a half.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 1, 2003
  7. todd

    Thor Guest

    smartdrive isn't touted as a CDROM speedup program. It is a disk caching
    program that has been around since the DOS days, doing duty as a harddrive
    disk caching program before CD drives were even all that common, and IIRC,
    the first versions didn't even cache CDROM drives.

    Thor, Dec 1, 2003
  8. todd

    MrToad Guest

    Everytime I'd seen it mentioned, they are talking about cdroms, ie; when
    you're loading Win9x for example. I'm not disputing your info, I was
    just giving the OP a alternative to loading smartdrive, chill out...

    MrToad, Dec 1, 2003
  9. todd

    MrToad Guest

    See my answer to DL.

    MrToad, Dec 1, 2003
  10. todd

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Copying the entire contents to a HD and running setup will still be slower
    than running setup with smart drive loaded. Smartdrive easily gives a few
    hundred percent performance boost in real mode doing anything that involves
    lots of disk IO

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 2, 2003
  11. todd

    Plato Guest

    smartdrv is a disk caching utility and immensly speeds up copying files
    from cd to hdd.

    Plato, Dec 4, 2003
  12. todd

    Plato Guest

    ditto. As I recall, smartdrv also speeds up dos win9x commands like
    scanreg /opt and scanreg /fix

    Plato, Dec 4, 2003
  13. todd

    Plato Guest