need to replace cmos battery

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ded, Apr 5, 2008.

  1. ded

    ded Guest

    An external battery?

    It is very simple and straightforward to replace a CMOS battery,
    they are not soldered into position, they slot into place and are
    held in position by a clip. There are only 7 - 9 different battery
    types, all you need to do is identify the battery type and replace.
    Disconnect PC from power supply,
    disconnect all peripheral/external devices,
    ground yourself,
    Open PC case,
    locate the coin shaped CMOS battery,
    flick up the securing clip, remove battery,
    pop along to your local PC store,
    Show them the battery and tell them you want an exact replacement type
    Return home
    Slot battery into position and secure with spring loaded clip.
    Close PC case
    Reconnect everything
    Boot.
    Job done.
    Cost $2
    Time 30 minutes plus time to go/return from PC store.

    Or, in search type: How to replace CMOS battery
    Google and/or ASK will produce thousands of results
    detailing every aspect with full pictorial guides.
    You don't use an external battery and it's not soldered
    into position.

    ded, Apr 5, 2008

  2. ded

    don Guest

    This is a link to a pic of my motherboard
    http://www.artofhacking.com/th99/m/M-O/30666.htm

    and this is what i think the motherboard specs are according to this website
    that I found http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486vlb2/clt486vl.html

    AMIBIOS ID string 40-0104-006362-00101111-111192-CTQ596-H

    Contaq 82c596 Chipset

    Now I'm looking for an external battery or the original internal battery
    that I guess I can get someone to solder in.

    Please post a link to the right place...

    what should I get charged for this repair?

    don, Apr 5, 2008

  3. ded

    ded Guest

    I just checked out that MoBo, it's obsolete! And even if you did
    get it functioning it would be hopeless

    ded, Apr 5, 2008
  4. ded

    Whiskers Guest

    The first web page mentioned in the OP shows the socket for an external
    battery (marked JP10) and gives the dip-switch settings to select the
    external battery. So it should be possible to fit a new battery without
    any soldering.

    I can remember when the old IBM HP and Compaq desktop PCs in my office
    needed new CMOS batteries, the techs simply cut or broke off the dead
    battery if it was soldered in, and plugged in an external battery on a
    lead long enough for the battery itself to be fixed to the case or
    chassis with sticky-tape or cable ties. It wouldn't be a good idea to
    leave the dead battery in place as it could start to leak and damage the
    electronics.

    I wouldn't be surprised if a few of those old relics were still in use -
    lots of 'network' tasks don't need blazing speed or fancy graphics, and if
    the box that does the job still does the job, why spend money replacing
    it?

    Whiskers, Apr 5, 2008
  5. ded

    Pennywise Guest

    See that greyish squarish thing above J10 marking?

    That should be your battery and soldered in, it is usually blue, and a
    stack of batteries vacuum formed together. - kinda like a small roll
    of life savers

    On the bottom of the board would be two spots to unsolder remove the
    battery and replace the same way.

    Pennywise, Apr 5, 2008
  6. Not that it's particularly relevant, here, but I haven't posted anything
    on my space-saving mobo line in a long time. Operators are standing by!

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/hinge-o.html

    :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 5, 2008
  7. ded

    Mara Guest

    It's not the typo I object to, it's being over the daily limit of exclamation
    marks. I always thought it was three in posession, 5 for the hunting season.

    Mara, Apr 6, 2008
  8. If I'd been smart and known how to spell it, I'd have been an
    entrepen...entrepinu...entripe....inventor. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 6, 2008
  9. What exclamation marks? Where? Huh?

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 6, 2008
  10. ded

    don Guest

    Thanks for all the great battery advice. I'm going to give it a try now that
    I know how to go about it. Before this post, I hadn't a clue?

    I'm just trying to save this computer because it was the very first one I
    bought. And even though now it is probably only worth $10 on ebay,

    I remember back then I think I paid around $2000 for it ! And the old metal
    OmniKey/101 keyboard still works great.

    don, Apr 6, 2008
  11. ded

    Mara Guest

    The other thread, sorry. I was still kind of tickled at the typo on the "Help"
    thread. <g>

    Mara, Apr 6, 2008
  12. ded

    Brazen Hussy Guest

    Bullshit! You've never had a girlfriend.

    Brazen Hussy, Apr 6, 2008