Need to dial a remote computer, and have it establish dialup ISP connection

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pulliam, Dec 28, 2007.

  1. pulliam

    pulliam Guest

    Subject says it all.

    I need to dial (via phone or pc modem) a remote phone number to which a
    PC with modem is attached. After some sort of handshake/password to
    eliminate wrong numbers, the remote PC needs to hang up, and then redial
    my ISP dial up number, pass my username and password to the ISP to
    establish a dial up connection.

    OS on both computers is Win XP Pro.

    This can't be too hard to do, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    pulliam, Dec 28, 2007

  2. pulliam

    Evan Platt Guest

    Dumb question, but why not just go with DSL on the remote computer?

    Evan Platt, Dec 28, 2007

  3. pulliam

    Leroy Guest

    Assuming you install some software on the remote pc which will
    answer the phone, the sw could hangup, and do what it is
    programmed to do. HOWever when the remote pc hangs up
    you'll be cut off and out of the picture. is that what you want?

    If you're trying to relay one pc thru another pc via phone lines
    tto your isp, he remote pc would need two phone modems and
    two separate phone lines. A better solution might be a
    'Phone Patch', a standalone device which routes (at the remote
    end) your incoming call on one line to your isp on another line.
    and what will the remote, unattended pc, do while connected to your
    ISP?

    Why don't you tell us what you REALLY want to do?
    Why not dial your ISP directly? Is all this to avoid a toll call to your
    isp?

    So maybe What you want to do is secondary, while WHY you want
    to do is primary?

    Leroy

    Leroy, Dec 28, 2007
  4. pulliam

    why? Guest

    Wasn't that what AA on dial up modem was for. It's been too many years
    but I remember or fairly sure it was easy to ring a modem , disconnect
    and the modem rang the programmed number back. The benefit was being at
    a remote location and having your home phone bill get the charges.

    Me

    why?, Dec 28, 2007